• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension and steering geometry question

grizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm currently working on swapping my 94 ranger from 4wd to 2wd and figured I'd ask if any suspension guru's here could see a problem that I don't. I know what most of you are already thinking, get a 2wd truck to start. Well I already have this one so it's what I'm building. I already have djm dream beams. The drivers side beam is the same length as the 4x4 beam and should go right in place. The passenger side beam however is three inches longer then the 4x4 beam. I know the mounts are different for the passenger side from 4x4 to 2wd. I'm considering shortening the dream beam to the same length as the 4x4 beam and using the 4x4 steering components since they are already designed for those length beams. Seems to me that everything should work together then. Does anyone see any issue with geometry that I'm not seeing?

grizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So no one has any input on This? :icon_confused:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Somewhere on the site is a good graphic of the suspension points and why they are laid out the way they are. I couldn't find it.
There is this article that might help a bit;
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm
4x4junkie is the master on the ttb and tib. Hopefully he sees this or you can try to PM him.
Personally I don't see why you couldn't as long as your shortening method is good.

grizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you alwaysfloored. That's exactly the kind of information I was searching for but couldn't seem to find. As far as the method on shortening the beam, I'm going to remove the length from the first tube on the dream beam and sleeve the inside with a section of .120 wall tube.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals