• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

back with questions 85 f 150

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm back and with a new truck. Attaching pictures as well. Anyways its an 85 f 150 with 8 or so in of lift. 39.5 in tires all around a bad ass truck but I'm having issues. It has the engine from a 95 boss 302 ( it'll spin those 40s on dry pavement like its nothing). But the engine has beem converted to points for some reason and the intake is a 2bbl edelbrock I've definitely got carb issues and maybe you can help me out at idle it runs okayish prettt inconsistent misfire but not bad at idle. Once you start reving it gets a very steady misfire (sounds like the same cylinder everytime) . Once the secondaries open up runs like a top so I find my self luggint the engine so I can put more gas into it and run smoothly.also when I shift down its reallu rough almost exactly like bump starting. Other possible relevant info my tach goes down to 0 as soon as I let off the gas. Lemme know whatvyou think thank s.

Attachments

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well a 2bbl wont have secondaries. sounds like the carb needs pulled apart and rebuilt. fuel pump may also not be providing enough fuel to the carb so check the float level and make sure your not running to rich. the timing also sounds like its off. might consider getting away from the carb setup and get yourself an efi setup out of a mustang.

how do your plugs look?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was gonna say check all 8 plugs, that should identify the problem cylinder. sounds like a fuel problem. i would try and get away from the 2 bbl, i dont think it would be to hard to swap on a 5.0 efi system, or if you have the cash get a truck avenger, they seem to do well on offroad rigs.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also check the alcohol content in your fuel. I have found carb engines don't hold their liquor well. I had a 78 Olds about years ago, right when they started putting E-10 at all the pumps, and I tore my hair out and wasted a lot of money chasing an inconsistent misfire, acting very much like you decribe, before I figured out the fuel was causing it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was gonna say check all 8 plugs, that should identify the problem cylinder. sounds like a fuel problem. i would try and get away from the 2 bbl, i dont think it would be to hard to swap on a 5.0 efi system, or if you have the cash get a truck avenger, they seem to do well on offroad rigs.
Yeah, once you get past swapping the fuel tank(s), fuel pump(s), fuel lines and all the wiring it is very simple.

Also check the alcohol content in your fuel. I have found carb engines don't hold their liquor well. I had a 78 Olds about years ago, right when they started putting E-10 at all the pumps, and I tore my hair out and wasted a lot of money chasing an inconsistent misfire, acting very much like you decribe, before I figured out the fuel was causing it.
+1. The stuff is crap for a carbureted engine.

The joy of double threads...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155131

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals