• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L Duratec intake-injector-header-exhaust mod

Hesstopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I'm kind of planning a coup-de-ton on my 2.3L Duratec

Since there is only a few hp that separates a Duratec from the Vulcan I wanted to not bridge the gap... but surpass the V6.

I'm not one to name drop so I'll just leave the brands out. I have a race buddy who modded the crap out of a 350Z a few years ago and ran circles around vettes with a few exceptions of drivers that really knew what they were doing. He is going to give me a hand and be a go-to guy for me if/when I get in trouble or have a question on part selection. I'm posting this to get some feedback from the online community and hear from people who might have done this already.

I figure might as well start somewhere so lets just move the choke point down the line.

1st - intake, get a stock intake from junkyard and cut the box lid back to just enough before MAF sensor to allow a cone to attach, then run box topless but retain bottom to protect from splash up and keep -some- heat out. Basically, it will draw fresh air as normal but have access to much more volume when the engine calls for it. (I'd expect 3-4hp since I'm already using K&N filter)

2nd - exhaust headers, self explanatory. remove sharp angles less restrictive. maybe 10-12hp

3rd - cat back exhaust; I work with the wife of a guy who has ran the most respected muffler shop in my city since 1964 when he opened the place. I sat down with him and talked about my Ranger. The short of the long is this: stock cat's are that restrictive, but there is an un-necessary bend and the exhaust goes from 2.5" to 1-3/4" shortly after 2nd cat... so; cut before bend, weld straight 2.5" to a flowmaster, then side ditch in front of passenger wheel. Maybe 5hp

4th - now that the engine can breath; increase fuel availability for those on demand moments... high flow injectors. The increase depends largely on how much higher they are over stock and frankly I have no idea exactly what to expect.

I'm looking at 18-21hp increase NOT including the injectors. I think that's a pretty conservative estimate since the muffler shop told me 10hp (I disagree) and I've read on other forums that 15hp with exhaust headers is common.

comments?

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
if you think i/h/e is gonna net you 18-21hp keep watching the powerblock and go buy some e3 spark plugs.

your intake will net you 0 hp these trucks have the same intake as the 4.0 they arent that restrictive. weakness of the duratec intake is air velocity. it steps down to like 2.25" for the maf then out to 3" in the tube. running a 2.5" intake will help gain air speed back and increase throttle response, but not hp. google venturi effect

you dont have headers you have a 4cyl. msds makes a header for the ranger, its just a shorty design that hooks up to the cats and downpipe so maybe 1hp

2.5" cat back will improve your sound not your power, dont use a baffled muffler get something with a flowthru design and run the piping all the way to the back of the truck so the 4cyl will properly scavenge the gasses instead of dumpin it behind the cab. maybe 1hp

now that your motor isnt doing anything over stock dont touch your injectors

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The difference between a Duratec and a Vulcan 3.0 is not just a few HP but 50 ft/lbs of torque.

gibsondale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
What about some performance cams like they sell for the focus duratec?

I'm thinking cams, e-fan, and head. Maybe pistons too.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
most duratecs come with a e-fan to help cool the ac with the mech fan but the mech fan is unnecessary as the e-fan can do its job just fine. i removed mine and replaced my intake tube with 2.5 inch and noticed a bump in throttle response, and slightly quicker rpm drops between shifts nothing major but thats what the @ss dyno told me.

as i understand the 23ns head is almost identical to the one on the 2.0 focus less the vvt, so i dont think bumping cp with a head from the factory is a option, be easier to pull the head and have it decked a couple .001 and run a slimmer hi perf head gasket to get cp ratio up. then hit the dyno and tune because thats where money is made

theturbokid83

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
255/55r18 or 235/75r15
My credo
We're only as good as our gear.
wow

Changing your intake size to 2.5" does not increase your air velocity, it increases volume. I googled it, and I do lots of cyl. head work. Next the mods you did do increase "power" without a dyno no telling how much. Next top end work is highly valuble. Cams from crower they have a nice selection, and a good port and polish. i/e/h are just a start but they are more complementery to things like cams, etc. Even after real engine changes and pipping a computer tune even from a power tuner will make up for some of the compensation hopefully enough to keep from changing injectors. Check out diablo motorsports. Compression ratio will make you run higher grade fuel, and the 23ns is already 9.7:1. I have an 08' 23ns ranger. I love it. There is no replacement for displacement though don't forget that. Last but not least you can never beat boost! eventually i will be there.

CheapRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Changing your intake size to 2.5" does not increase your air velocity, it increases volume. I googled it, and I do lots of cyl. head work. Next the mods you did do increase "power" without a dyno no telling how much. Next top end work is highly valuble. Cams from crower they have a nice selection, and a good port and polish. i/e/h are just a start but they are more complementery to things like cams, etc. Even after real engine changes and pipping a computer tune even from a power tuner will make up for some of the compensation hopefully enough to keep from changing injectors. Check out diablo motorsports. Compression ratio will make you run higher grade fuel, and the 23ns is already 9.7:1. I have an 08' 23ns ranger. I love it. There is no replacement for displacement though don't forget that. Last but not least you can never beat boost! eventually i will be there.
Talk about thread resurrection:dunno:.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah jesus christ that was an old ass thread haha

brutus93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah jesus christ that was an old ass thread haha

Actually... jesus christ IS an old ass thread. People still talk about this ficticious magician today. Lets all remember that not all of us trip on these threads on the day of post. Most of us find them when searching for information. Those of us either get blasted for starting a new thread or blasted for commenting on an old thread. We can't win apparently. I as well as many others would appreciate if the community would not try to ridicule us for 'resurrecting a dead thread'. Sharing information only benefits everyone. Cheers!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually... jesus christ IS an old ass thread. People still talk about this ficticious magician today.
Two things real quick.

1) That is highly offensive to a lot of people, and I will thank you to keep your opinions on such matters to yourself.

2) There are literally hundreds of secular historical document that support the existence of a man know as Jesus of Nazareth in the early 1st century AD, that correlate very closely with the accounts of his actions and whereabouts given in the first four books of the New Testament. That would make your classification of him as "fictitious" ignorant and uniformed at best. Make sure you know what you are saying before you say it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals