• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squealing belt?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,
Anyone else have a problem with belt squeal on the 4.0 in a BII? I have so far replaced both idler pulleys, the tensioner assy 2 NAPA belts and now a Gates belt and the water pump. I thought I had it whipped with the Gates belt, nope since it got cold I'm getting the squeal at start up and until I am driving and get the RPMs up to about 1500 again. Once the truck warms up it seems to be less of an issue. I have all accessories on this motor. Any thoughts?

jakes86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
squeal

It seems like you've replaced almost everything as far as pulleys on it. Did you check all of the bushings? I had a similar problem w/ my wifes 1990 Voyager, I replaced the tensioner which was bad, idler pulley, and several belts and it turned out the bad tensioner took out a bushing on the idler pulley.It made it make a nice squeal especially if it rained or got wet. We replaced that and now it doesn't squeal anymore. Just something you might have missed?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
How about the Power steering or Alternator pulleys? There could be a problem with them or the bearings associated with them.

Also was there belt dressing sprayed on at any point in time that may not have gotten cleaned off?

Also I am assuming this is a serp belt and not v belts?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah,
I replaced the idlers after the tensioner and then the water pump and the three belts all in trying to track this down. Never had belt dressing on it, don't like the stuff. This is really bugging me. I tried locating it by using my stethoscope but can't locate it exactly. Thinking of getting a non AC belt and see if the fixes it as I don't exactly need AC just now. The pump was replaced after the squealing started as it was leaking. The only part not changed out yet is the ac compressor hence my thought of using a non ac belt. I'd rather not as I would have no need for it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
have any oil leaks that could be getting on bearings, pullys, or the belt?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Try getting a really lotiony soap like a bar of dove and hold it against the belt while its running on both sides, if the belt or the contact point for the belt on the pulleys is to blame then the squeak should go away becuase the soap is lubing it (it may just reduce the sound as well) but the you would know if it was the belt or if there is a bearing problem somewhere else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals