• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just won't go in

EABYRD1977

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just put a new rear main seal, new flywheel, pilot bearing, friction disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing , In my 85 Ford Ranger 2.8 V6 and can't get the shaft to line up to get the transmission back in. Does anyone have a suggestion. The clutch is a stage III, I bought off eBay. The pressure plate has made in Korea stamped on it, is this my problem?I did notice that the throwout bearing that came with the clutch kit is longer than the one that came out originally.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be wrong stuff, but shaft should line up.

Did you use the plastic tool to hold new disc in place while you tighten down the pressure plate, that lines up the disc and pilot bearing hole, so shaft can slide in and hit the pilot bearing hole.
Looks like this: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_clutch_replace/pic9.JPG

You often have to open the bleeder on slave to push trans all the way on to the dowels

EABYRD1977

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes sir I sure did use the alignment tool. I did not try to open the bleeder though. I had to take loose the hydraulic line from the clutch master cylinder at the pedal. But I will try to open the bleeder. Thanks man you're a life saver

EABYRD1977

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey RonD,would I still need to crack the bleeder if the line is loose from the clutch master cylinder?

next657

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Transmission
Automatic
I'm new and I'm interested in this topic. Thank you!

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You could try removing the driveshaft, putting it in neutral, and spinning the tailshaft slowly while you push it in. They can be difficult, but once the tailshaft won't spin the teeth are engaged. From there you can carefully draw it in evenly with the bellhousing bolts. Don't force it with the bolts though. You did install the input shaft bearing in the flywheel and grease the splines right?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A little late, but the clutch should easily slide onto the transmission input shaft. Other possibility is the wrong pilot bearing or other wrong part as said before.
As for foreign made parts, that's about all you can get these days in aftermarket parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals