• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo'n Grandpa's 88

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
WOW! You really went all out, and doing a great job. I didn't realize you were planning on going that far with it when we first started talking. Makes me want to tear back into mine to add some more goodies, but I'm getting ready to drive across the country with it next week to visit my sons. I'm a sucker for a road trip. Planes may be quicker, but you miss out on the journey. Anything worthwhile is earned and it looks like you're earning, and enjoying your build. Super nice work.

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry for the time warp between updates! 2015 is now filed in my brain as the most busy and effed' up year on record lol.

How did the road-trip treat ya Turbroke? I got quite a few in this summer and fall, I just wish they were for enjoyment instead of business. So unfortunately not many chances to "get out and smell the roses" :sad:
Haven't had much time to do a whole lot with Gramps lately except stare at it in the shed for the most part! But all the snow around here has helped get some odds and ends finished up. I finished the trim ring and carpet repair for the floor shifter location, Found one of my old Rockford amps and mounted it to one of the rear seat bases so it is tucked out of the way. Small Subsolution sub box recessed on the rear floor, alpine mids and tweets in the factory rear pods, mids in the doors and separate tweeters modded into the dash plates. Got tunes!!
From here I would like to find an uncracked dash pad (if they still exist), refinish the package tray, and tint the windows. Then I think I can check the interior off the list..

Also picked up a little something for under the hood :yahoo:

Bo-Port stage3! I figured if I am going to convert to corn fuel, may as well extract its full potential. I have the D-port intake I will need to cut and rotate, hoping to get the throttle body close to where I have the dual-plug intake pointed and located.
For now I am going to run one of the dual plugs coil pack to get it down the road and tuning, but plan to convert to LS truck coils in wasted spark.

Last edited:

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well its got some tunes, it has no more oil leaks, it has been running down the road getting 26 mpg if you can keep your foot out of it! And its one sneaky quiet little sleeper lol but seriously lacking air movement in the interior without a functioning air plenum. Obviously I'm ditching the idea of putting AC back in it, so that means it has been impossible to find a non-ac box to butcher up to clear the downpipe. So I decided to work with the one I got. For this box I'm using 1/8" ABS which is about the equivalent of the oem air box. Fun and easy stuff to work with! ABS slurry for weld bonding. It is not the same materiel as the original air box so I tested a glue joint first and it still melted in very well as long as I stripped the last 25 years of paint and road grime off. So far has seen about 1500 miles of many boosted heat cycles, thinking it's good to go!

The original Ac box with the evap core removed

Added a layer of heat shield then shot some SC804 flat black over the whole box just to guinea pig the stuff lol. It hasn't come off the cylinder head at the exhaust ports yet so should be good. One piece and goes into place really easy with a couple inches of clearance to the downpipe. Hopefully it does the job!

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Love this truck! I wanna see some pull videos!

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you still looking for a ac delete box?

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Duuude this is freakin dope! That is such a clean and complete turbo install, it blows me away!

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks a bunch guys! :beer: I think my holiday weekend just got stormed out so methinks a cylinder head swap is in the works! I will definitely get some vid when its back on the road for sure.

4eyed- I would definitely be interested in one if you may know of any! My brother has been getting close to needing one for his build, It would probably fit his without modification. PM me with details if ya like :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love the engine bay, that is clean. The valve cover came out really sharp. :icon_thumby:

Not sure if YeeHaa is close to Wahoo but in SW Iowa my car club has a show in early September and my Ranger is always the only one there...

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I love the engine bay, that is clean. The valve cover came out really sharp. :icon_thumby:

Not sure if YeeHaa is close to Wahoo but in SW Iowa my car club has a show in early September and my Ranger is always the only one there...
Thank you sir! :beer:

YeeHaa is just down the road from Wahoo! :D
Where abouts in IA will it be this year? Would definitely be willing to cross the river for it!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you sir! :beer:

YeeHaa is just down the road from Wahoo! :D
Where abouts in IA will it be this year? Would definitely be willing to cross the river for it!
Red Oak Iowa, it is the Classy Chassis Car Club. About an hour southeast of Omaha.

Now that I am done with fieldwork for awhile I need to get to a meeting so I can update the Facebook page...

Last edited:

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bo-Port Stage 3 and Intake

Got the new Bo-Port head bolted down this past week, and some other oddball stuff finalized. Cleaned up a D-port lower intake and ported the guts out of it, lots of material to match and equal out to these ports! The guy does beautiful work, thinking it may wake this truck up a tad. :headbang:
Did the same finish job on these as I did on the last intake, they held up nicely.
Using the old coil mount location for the fuel regulator.

I ported the upper but did not gut it.. Gunna see how it does this way first. Cut the old throttle body adapter I built off the old intake and welded it up along with a new throttle cable mount.
Don't need two coil pack anymore, so going to mount one coil pack behind the upper for now to get it down the road for retuning.

Bigger fuel rail with ID1000's injectors

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So how does she run?

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So how does she run?
So far just got the idle areas and free rev stuff dialed in, hope to go for a drive tonight!
Just got the Caltracs on, fuel system finished off the rear tank for e85, and bolted the box back down a couple nights ago.. Ended up using the front tank as a reserve that pumps to the rear tank when the selector switch is moved to "Front". This way I still have the extra capacity on long drives. And since there isn't e85 everywhere I like to drive, I ended up doing a Flex Fuel sensor to the Microsquirt that senses the ethanol content and blends the fuel table accordingly.. At least that's what I read anyway lol We shall see!

Wanted to keep the fuel lines and clutter to a minimum so I built a little bracket for the sensor and mounted it to the dipstick stud mount just behind the fuel return off the regulator.

And finally got something to keep the wires away from the header. Still amazed at how much heat newer silicone wires can handle! Had one damn near laying on a header tube the entire time I was running the old head and didn't even know it! It was just starting to look a little crispy where it touched a few times lol

Did find some different rimes and tires for it as well, will get some pics of it outside after I dig it out of it's dungeon

Last edited:

SeanC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Inspiring work. Looks great!

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Inspiring work. Looks great!
Thanks Sean! Most appreciated friend! :beer:

Did some more tuning on it today, nice day for a drive in the Bohemian Alps! Lots of load ranges to dial in on those hills lol.
Thought I was going to melt it down last night, though.. Almost found out the hard way that the new cam was severely retarded in timing because the new head is decked and/or the cams alignment tooth is way off from factory. Pulled over last night after a light cruise on the backroads, popped the hood and found the header and turbo all glowing orange! Wasn't expecting that for how good it was running! Thankfully nothing lit on fire..
Sooo, this morning I searched around the internet and found out the most possible gremlin..Then used the E-bar method for finding true 0* on the cam and it was off like 12* :annoyed: Almost a full tooth off but not quite, so I left it lined up with the factory marks and rescribed the marks on the adjustable pulley at zero. Holy shit did that do the trick! No more glowing header at idle and light cruise and does this thing pull like a psycho freight train! Tires and Caltracs are working awesome! No more violent wheel hop, bonus. Starting to find the limits of the little baby .48 exhaust housing though, I can tell it is choking off this cylinder head at high rpm's. Gunna have to remedy that down the road perhaps :D

So now, I have a tune dialed in with about 8 gallons of e50 loaded in the rear tank and 10 gallons of e90 (found a very good fuel station today! :icon_thumby: ) loaded up in the front tank on stand-by. With Flex fuel enabled on the Microsquirt, when I get through the rear tank, I will transfer over the hot stuff from the front tank and dial in the Flex fuel sender. So far it has been rock solid with the fuel calculations, so hoping I wont have to change much. Maybe get it tuned up to 28psi tonight... giggidy.

Couple pics of the old grump outside of his cave!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals