• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC only blows out of defroster

maskale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know it works off a vacuum system but I need help fixing the problem. Sometimes the air will blow out of the top vents but then after a few min it goes back to defrost. Problems seems intermitent, but usually blows out of defrost. Any ideas on fixing it?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
What year? Sounds like a newer one.

maskale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same problem on my truck and been wonderin how to fix it mine is a 98 3.0 L

maskale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger's a 95 and I had that problem before. In my Ranger there is a vaccum ball on the passenger side wheelwell that has some small hoses going into it. Mine were damaged and when I replaced them all worked fine again.

You may want to try just removing the lines and reinstalling them to see if that helps. Be careful though as those lines are very fragile.

Allen

CMLJESSE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's funny! I was gonna post this question because mine just started doing the same thing! When A/C is on, it comes out of the defroster...and it's cold!

My truck is a 2000 2.5L. I'm going to try the suggestions posted previously and hope it works!

Thanks!

riverjig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cant identify that black plastic vacuum ball

I cant find a part identification or part name for the black plastic ball which sits on the passenger side engine bay. I am also having a problem with switching my A/C from defroster. Actually, thats all that runs. Im hoping, since I noticed a fracture in that ball, that if I replace that ball, I should alleviate the vent switching problem. If anyone has any other suggestions, I sure could use the help. Thanx

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cracked ball = defrost only until you replace the ball.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I cant find a part identification or part name for the black plastic ball which sits on the passenger side engine bay. I am also having a problem with switching my A/C from defroster. Actually, thats all that runs. Im hoping, since I noticed a fracture in that ball, that if I replace that ball, I should alleviate the vent switching problem. If anyone has any other suggestions, I sure could use the help. Thanx
It is a vacuum accumulator. You may be able to tape or epoxy the crack until you obtain the correct part.

Good luck

blue_demon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hell, I'm having the same problem in my 97 2.3L. It only does it at Interstate speeds. I assume it is because of engine RPMs and not the actual speed of the truck. I'll check the vacuum accumulator.

Pro_Marinero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the same issue, and I have been trying to find the accumulator off and on for the past month. I have a '98 4.0L 4x4. I've been trying to trace vacuum lines to any kind of accumulator with no luck. I noticed today that if I shift into 4wd and then back to 2wd, the vents work with no problem. Can somebody give a pretty specific location of where the ball should be?

Last edited:

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
haha! i went to this forum to post a question about the same exact problem! mine is a 98 3.0 also and mine switches to the defrost vent whenever i am accelerating or there is a load on the engine, as soon as i let off the gas it comes back out of the right vent.

Quiksurf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if youtrace the 4x4 hub vacuum line back to the engine you should hit the canister in the middle, it should be behind the r/f splash sheild

Pro_Marinero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if youtrace the 4x4 hub vacuum line back to the engine you should hit the canister in the middle, it should be behind the r/f splash sheild
Does it look like a ball? I looked in a 2wd Ranger of the same year and I instantly found the canister where it's supposed to be. On mine I traced some lines and I can see there's something under the right front headlight where they go to but I didn't have time to start taking stuff apart to go further. Is that what I'm after?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals