• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Polish Aluminum Diamond Plate Toolbox

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Written By: dixie_boysles

How-to: Polish oxidized diamond plate toolbox

Discalimer: Neither I nor therangerstation.com takes any responsibility in any damage or actions resulting from this Ranger Modification. When performing this mod, you are doing so at your own risk

In this how-to I will be showing you one method on bringing back the shine of your faded, oxidized diamond-plate toolbox

Materials needed:

-Cordless or Corded Variable Speed Drill (Cordless preferrably as a corded is too strong, but will work)
-Mother's Powerball
-Aluminum Polish (I used Mother's Powermetal and Meguiar's Hot Rims)
-old Microfiber Cloth
-Waterhose
-wash bucket and mitt

Tips:

-Wear old cloths as the polish does sling somewhat
-wear eye prtection if needed
-If using a corded drill, go easy, as it is alot more powerful than a cordless drill
-after applying polish to powerball, go slow at first as not to sling the polish everywhere
-Make sure toolbox is clean before doing this

I found that the Hot Rims worked better as it was thicker and just seemed to polish better

Procedure:

First clean your toolbox, you dont want grit and stuff all over it.

The Tools:

[/IMG]
(Thanks Stone for the pic)

Now as you can see, the toolbox is pretty weathered:

Now you can start anywhere on the toolbox that you want, I chose the top as it was easiest. Like mentioned above start slow or you will sling the polish everwhere. You can apply the polish to the ball or to the metal, it doesn't matter.

This is after a one pass over the surface and then wiping it down. You will want to polish until there is black residue all over the surface. Then wipe clean with microfiber towel to check for misses spots.

Here is after 3 passes and wipe downs. The more you polish, the shinier it gets

Ok, here I was about halfway done with the toolbox, its like a night and day difference:

Here the top is done:

Just do the above procedures (Polish, wipe, polish wipe) to the whole toolbox until you are done. Once done, give the toolbox a good bath to get any missed residue off. Then mount on the truck again!

(For some Reason, the front would not polish up like the top, I polished it up like three times)

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
try wicked polish that stuff rocks hard. have you noticed better results from the powerball vs polishing by hand or is it just faster? i polish at truckstops for extra cash and do all my work by hand and it takes me 5-7 minutes per wheel and about 10-15 per tank depending how bad they are and it would be nice to speed up the process as long as it does as well as i do. also try wicked polish that stuff rocks hard

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
THe powerball works WAAAAAYYYYY better hands downs!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals