• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stroking the 4.0?

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering on your thoughts. It's a 97 ranger and with 185k auto and it does need a rebuild. I currently have a knock due to play in current crankshaft, although its not bad, there is no shavings or anything so it will need to be fixed. So i figured why not try to add some performance while im at it? Do you guys think it is a good idea? It needs a new crankshaft eventually anyway and a 30 hp and tq boost wouldn't be too bad either. Trying to make the truck nicer and a little faster, but don't want to go over board considering she is my daily driver. Also i know its been discussed many times in the forums but seeing as it will be opened up anyway if i do stroke it, do you think i should do any other mods that will add power but not mess with her reliability? I appreciate any and all help.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Put the 4.3 stroker kit in it and a 422 comp cam and you'll be golden. Gotta get extended pushrods for the new cam, lots of info around about that though.

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now should I stroke it or go with a 5.0 swap? It has been a more popular option for good reason from what I hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah but do you want a manual tranny? If you don't care about mpg and having an auto then id definitely get a 5.0. And if your 4x4 do you care about having a full time AWD transfer case? If your 2wd I'm pretty sure you can just get a 5 speed out of a mustang, and then get a driveshaft fabricated.

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm auto now but I would like a manual. What year mustang tranny would work? And would I have to get the mustang 5.0 with it or would it work with the explorers? Sorry if I ask too many questions lol

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
No problem, I ask way too many questions as well, never learn if you don't ask! The only difference between the explorer/mustang 5.0 is the heads and the camshaft. Since the explorer is a truck it's got a cam built for lower end torque whereas the mustang has a cam built for mid to high end power. I'm sure any year mustang tranny would work as long as it's a 5.0, though I'm not sure so someone should chime in! Also keep in mind the ecu, the explorer never had a manual 5.0. I'm not sure what computer you're going to need and the wiring harness, though I'm sure there's been plenty of 5.0 swaps for 2wd rangers using the mustang 5 speed, I'd research around and find out. Mainly just gotta worry about how it will plug into your dash/battery/starter harness. (That big square plug in on the driver side next to the intake and firewall).

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out and look around. Another problem I'm running into is finding someone who can get it done being as I lack the tools and experience>.<

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
As long as the block is from an expo it'll drop right in, motor mounts are the same. The only thing I'm uncertain about is the tranny mount. Might be the same, might not. But as far as getting the engine out and the tranny you shouldn't need anything more than a good socket set, a breaker bar, and a hoist which you can rent.

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fair enough, then I'd just need to send the driveshaft out to get fabed and I should be good

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you even sure that its a rod knock you are hearing? A few years ago I took my 99 to a shop to have head gaskets replaced, knew the problem, but didn't have time to do the work myself. Told them that was the only work I authorized and if anything else was needed the truck would be parked until I had time and money to do it myself. Next morning they called me and said "mechanic says that he heard a knock when he cranked it up this morning, that means bottom end is bad and motor needs to be replaced." Few hours later I picked up the truck and they couldn't demonstrate the knock, took it home dad did the work and have driven it since. Few months ago head gasket blew again so we decided to have block checked for warped deck. When we tore down that bottom end it was perfect, could have gone another 100K easily before the bottom end needed to be touched. It had 180K on it at that point. Block didn't require any work and the crank only needed the journals polished.

Just saying the motor might not be as bad as you think.

Now should I stroke it or go with a 5.0 swap? It has been a more popular option for good reason from what I hear
If 5.0 is even considered to be an option, then the idea of stroking the 4.0L should just be tossed. The money involved in stroking a 4.0L just isn't worth it. There are only a few ways that I could consider it worth the money. One is if you were racing in a particular class that required stock(ish) motors or had size limits. The other is if you live in some state like commiefornia, and you might be able to squeeze a stroker past inspections that would kill a swap.

If you must rebuild and keep the 4.0L for now, there are ways that you can get just as much power for less. Do some searching and you'll find ways. #1 that comes to mind is a piston swap to boost compression a little.

Yeah but do you want a manual tranny? If you don't care about mpg and having an auto then id definitely get a 5.0.
What does that have to do with anything? A 5.0 swap can be auto or manual regardless of engine source. FYI if done right and driven right a 5.0 swapped Ranger will often times get as good or better gas mileage than a 4.0L Ranger.

Reaper; just saw your other thread, you did the right thing starting a new thread about this in the V8 section. Hopefully you'll get plenty of experienced members to reply.

Last edited:

Reaper1354

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you that was very helpful! And I just assumed it was a knock because I can hear it clear as day when my truck is running. No shaving or anything in the oil though. I mean I just took what they said to be true and never questioned it, but if it's been going on for months and I don't see any shavings or any power loss it does start to make me wonder

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals