• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Scam? Or unbelieveable deal?

Blacked-Out FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
you might want to have a mechanic look at it...ford's 5.4 is NOTORIOUS for eating and spitting out spark plugs...

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 2001 f150 with the 5.4 and I loved it! Never had a problem with spark plug or anything really. I know the 5.4 is what you want if you do alot of pulling. You can tow and hardly tell anything is behind you. Now the 4.6 is a different story. If you do any towing at all I would avoid this engine. My friend had a truck identical to mine except it had the 4.6. I towed with it a few times and it seemed to struggle the whole time even on pretty level ground. But hey that just my 2 cents, it's your choice in the end.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It does say it needs little....little want? Little trans repair...little motor repair? Just look it over very good!!! Look for any leaks on the ground....around the motor, rearend, trans..etc....etc...

Good luck, Bro!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you might want to have a mechanic look at it...ford's 5.4 is NOTORIOUS for eating and spitting out spark plugs...
Generally only after someone changes the plugs and gets them too tight or not tight enough and they can work the threads.

Not a really really common thing, like say 2.9's cracking heads.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya well its parked what looks like dirt so well see this week, guy with explorer i want is pushin me to come see it today, im like im busy hes like ok someones coming tomorrow. im like fine if its here on monday ill come look. i checked his explorer on craigslist. it drops 100 every day or every 5 days from 2250 to 1850. so he can eat one. 1500 is all id give to put a 177k mile 5.0 in my ranger. theres also some in my area with torn seats and missin ford emblems and they want 6 grand. im like f you. 142k 5.4 lariat 2002. idk, id settle for a dead truck long as its only problem was like a blown motor. hmm... not a bad idea... i know i seen a 2002 flareside black, guy said one of the cylinders was only pushin 40lbs? whatever the f uc that meant. if its only an engine i alrdy found one near me for under a grand. be like 3k total but id have to do work, and ive never dropped an engine in though it will be plug n play sorta, as same engine... would just have to not rip anything...
either that or i ride a scooter while i put 3400 into my ranger... ughhh... i dont wanna ride a scooter lol...

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
well that guy emailed today wondering if i still wanted the explorer for 1850. i dont even wanna respond. he lied and said sunday someone was coming to look at it. he either lied or they didnt want it, when he wants to drop the price ill think about it. he made me mad and i wanna just get the LT now... i always try to get another vehicle cause i dont wanna drive a gay ass scooter while i work on truck but... w.e ill deal with it... LT or v8 swap... i think i should go suspension as my main problem is an exhaust leak around the cats, during winter i noticed it cause when i first start the exhaust blew out by front tires, i think thats what killing my power, i have to let go of pedal and get a fresh rev to get to 3k rpm, or it gets stuck at 2k. on highway im at 2500rpm so i think at 208k miles my engines got alot of life left... well see which way i go... i want both so bad, wish i had more money... then again dont we all..

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Look for dents in the hood from spark plugs shooting out.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
After all my talk, tomorrow I will go check out that 5.0 exp, it's got 177k miles, it's a 1999 awd obviously. I'm gonna hafta get that scooter if I wanna swap it in. Think $1850.00 is too much? Guy originally wanted 2250 lol. I was like ya... And.. No. I plan to take tranny out of it and everything including rear axle with springs. Someone said something to me about front axle, I wonder if he just meant the axle insides,I dot think I can take the whole suspension from front and transplant to my ranger. At least if I take the whole driveline I'll only need adapter for 4wd motor I believe.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
rockers......rocker panels.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I know people hate 1999 f150 but...
Why???

My dad's 99 is still a DD after 294k miles. The engine had to be changed at 240k because of some reason I don't remember. But still has original transmission, never rebuilt. The engine kept it's power up until it went out, and they are great engines. Working on them is a little tricky. On top of being a daily driver, it still hauls occasional leaf spring breaking loads of firewood, hauls the boat around, and hauled my 67 mustang the 200 mile trip home.

Basically, if the body is good, and there isn't any huge issues with it (do a search for common problems or ask a ford tech) then get it.
I think it's one of the best F150's made, especially in the looks department! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals