• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum tree/lines help on my 351m

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
On my 79 bronco, stock 351M, can I plug off the vacuum tree completely? Or is it absolutely required. Even if I can plug it off temporarily just to start her up and get her running.

Also, since the bronco starts but only gets the gas which i dump down the carb and then shuts off, would that have anything to do with the vacuum tree not being on the engine? (I can see the gas in the clear filter right before the carb)

My buddy has a vacuum tree he is going to get me but I tried starting her up the other day just for shits and thats what happened, and Im wondering how serious it is, Im hoping the tree will solve my problem

thanks

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it should run with a plugged off vacuum tree.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much sir, +1 rep

Also found this old pic. as you can tell only 2 ports are being used, So Im thinking transmission, and charcoal canister correct?

thanks

edit; so do you think this could be my problem with not idling?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
What I am hoping, is that she is getting all that air in from where the tree is supposed to be mounted, that she is just flooding herself and not stay going, thats what it seems like.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I am hoping, is that she is getting all that air in from where the tree is supposed to be mounted, that she is just flooding herself and not stay going, thats what it seems like.
It will lean out if there is a vacuum leak... an uncapped port on the intake is a pretty big leak. It is getting more air but still the same amount of fuel. That will really make it run goofy, it should just be pipe threads if you wanted to plug it to get it to "run"

Dunno about the charcoal canister, but you would need one for the vacuum advance (and automatic trans if you have one) Most carbs have ports on them, that can run vacuum accessories too. For the vacuum advance you want ported vacuum or vacuum that comes on with the throttle, on most carbs that is the higher up nipple on the front. For an automatic you want manifold vacuum which is vacuum that is on all the time (the same as the tree), that is the lower nipple.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Do you have power brakes?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much. there are a couple vaccum ports on the carb but I have all them hooked up good. +rep

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Havent drove her with the vaccums like this so I wouldnt know, thanks!
If it is equipped with power brakes, that's the most crucial part to have hooked up if you are driving it. My booster took a dump on my Mustang and I damn near took her through a fence.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I am just wanting the engine to run

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I am just wanting the engine to run
---Wiping Forehead--- OK good. I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to cruise around sans brakes. That's no good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals