• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Fan Idea? help?

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
so i was browsing around on the internet today and saw that some one had put a Mercury sable 2 speed electric fan in there bII to replace the mechanical fan to make more power. the only problem is they didnt make a write up on it. has anyone done this or know how to do this? i am really interested in trying it. any incite would help. thanks

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The Taurus/Sable fan is a damn good one. Just make sure to get the proper wiring and relays to run it. It pulls 70 amps at startup and will melt your wiring.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
do u have a wiring diagram by any chance? honestly wiring kinda scares me haha

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
It's easy to do, but don't be looking for any power gains from it, or you will be disapointed

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at doing the same thing, but i have a fan i got for free that i'm gonna stick in there and use a temp sender out of a festiva o run a relay to energize it. as soon as i get some free time.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
hmmm really cause i herd u did but i still might do it just so it stays cooler on the trail

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
here i dont know if this will help but it might. I pulled it form broncoII.org before it went down. All credit goes to igiveup.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
You would notice a power gain if your stock fan was a mechanical fan, but seeing as most RBV's used a clutch fan set-up you prolly won't notice any power gains at all.

Go to your auto parts store and ask for an electric thermostat fan relay kit, shouldn't be much more than 30 bucks, it will run the fan on low speed for sure as that's what I used on mine. This elec therm is an automatic on/off type system, no need to manually operate the fan with this set-up for most DD and such. It just turns itself on or off automatically to the set temps of it's own thermostat, mine is a 180 therm.

I only takes that 70amps to start the fan from a stop on high speed, not low speed, low speed can use 20 amps easily. And actually mine only draws 59 amps from a stop to start the high speed circuit.

I wired mine up to an over ride switch so I can turn the fan off if need be. The switch I used was a 2 way separate power switch. Toggle position in the center is off, up is one circuit and down is the other separate circuit. I picked up a 70A mega fuse, some 8 gauge wire and a starter/winch solenoid and a 1 foot piece of battery cable with the brass ends that fit over threaded studs. All this was for the high speed circuit. I wired it all up so that the high speed circuit is switched on by the same toggle switch that turns off the low speed fan circuit.

When my engine temps get too hot for the fans low speed to handle, I flip the switch to actuate the high speed fan circuit, which turns off the low speed circuit as I switch it over to the high speed circuit. Since the fan is already spinning it also doesn't take the full 60A to fire the high speed circuit up. But in the event that I want the high speed circuit to run from the fan stopped, the 70A mega fuse can handle that duty easily. I also wired the high speed circuit live so that I can run it with the ign. key off to cool the engine after shutting it off if I ever need to.

So far it has worked quite well. I have only been running it this way for a couple months maybe, but it's working like a charm so far. The electric thermostat I have had in there for a few years now with no problems other than when I push the engine really hard for extended periods the low fan speed doesn't keep the engine coolant cool enough, but that high speed sure does.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am glad we are having this discussion. After I swap in the 4.0L I plan to put in an electric drive fan. My first thought was the Flex-a-lite FLX-40 that has been described in the TRS technical report. I like the idea of a two speed fan. When setting up the fan specifications you need to determine the front end pressure drop. I a Sable the front end is rather restricted thus need more fan power. However trucks like the B2 have open front ends and flow easily. The decision I need to make shortly will be the Flex-a-lite or the Taurus/Sable fan. In the Flx-40 technical writeup it did not mention anything about current draw. In fact it didn't mention putting in a relay (it may be part of the adjustable fan control). Does anyone know the current draw? I wonder which one is quieter?

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like how you set that up Bones I put an electric fan in mine still got pretty warm pushing snow.So I got a thick radiator my electric fan didnt fit anymore.Put in a heavy duty clutch fan dosnt get off the bottom of normal in any situation.Now though it sounds like an airplane taking off very annoying if I had an electric fan it would'nt have ran all winter except four wheeling.I think Ill find one of those thin fans maybe that will work.

So IMHO electric fans are the way to go.If you do put in a clutch fan do not put in a heavy duty is sounds like its going to blow apart at 3000 RPMs

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have used a 94 T-bird fan for years. Its a two speed and I just use the high speed winding and an electric fan controller. It draws 50 amps to start and about 25 while running. Its slightly larger than the Taurus/Sable fan. It works really well out here in the desert!!

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
here i dont know if this will help but it might. I pulled it form broncoII.org before it went down. All credit goes to igiveup.

Not an electronics guy, so maybe one of you young guys can tell me why there is a diode in the "high" circuit? I know what a diode does, I'm guessing the fan requires both wires to be energized to produce the high speed?

oetinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an electric fan from a sunfire I think...it fit directly there... and for now, I havent had any problem with it.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The diode is to prevent feedback from the left relay into the center relay. When you are on high both the left and right relay are closed providing voltage to both set of windings. When you switch to low only the left relay is closed and only one winding is used. On low the diode prevents the center relay to be entergized.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals