• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Evap leak filler neck?

Sportrally5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Trying to pass CA smog and still have Evap leak on 1989 Ranger 2.9L. I built my own smoke tester and thought I connected and tested everything but must not have gotten all the way back the smog shop thought the gas tank filler neck was likely. Any tips on best place to connect to smoke test that section? Just plug the filler neck and smoke it there? Want to test before just throwing in a $175 part.

Thanks appreciate any suggestions

Sportrally5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Issue resolved

So replying to myself...

With my home smoker I tested again and did not get anything from the filler neck. I was glad I ruled out that $180. Part at least. However it was a pretty breezy day and I didn’t conclusively get smoke from anywhere so I brought it to my favorite smog shop and told them at least I knew it wasn’t that filler neck.

They did their own test and found out the ring on the fuel tank sending unit could have been tighter so they turned a quarter turn and that was it! These guys are awesome because they basically charged me $20 plus the smog to take the bed off and mess with that. If anyone is in Sacramento area message me and I’ll give you their info.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals