• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Broncoii

shadow11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all I am brand new to the forum and to owning a broncoII. I am looking for help on what i should do. I bought an 89 B2 with 153000 miles on it and its in great working condition. I bought it from an old man that used it as a daily driver and he was the original owner. there are no mods on it yet and i think everything is stock. Im looking for suggestions on where i should start. This is going to be a Hunting Truck so I dont need to jack it up 6 inches I was thinking about 2 inch lift so i dont have to redo all the gears. Any thoughts????

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome, let's see some pics too when you get a chance.

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if it is just gonna be a "hunting truck" as you say, and not a crazy off-road beast or show truck. Also, depending on your budjet and your future plans for the truck as in long-terms. I have a 88 bronco II, and i installed a 2" body lift, 31"x10.5" all-terrain tires, and some good fog/driving lights. She worked great on and off-road, and she could make it through basiclly anything i could drive it through. The only problem i had with that set-up it the tires would slightly rub on the front sway bar at full turn. If you wanted to go with a 2" suspension lift, there way a guy on e-bay selling a 2" kit that included front coil spacers, and your choice of rear blocks or add-a-leafs, and a set of 4 shocks for $199.

shadow11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No crazy off road stuff I just need to be able to get through the black gumbo clay at my farm. My plan is 2 inch susp. lift and 30 by 9.5 tires or I'll have to buy new wheels. I don't know how wide I can go on factory wheels. Mount lights on top and probably a spot light on the side and spray bed line the whole outside. I'll put some pictures up later today so you guys can see it.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
31s will fit on factory wheels, they will just actually measure 31

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
31s will fit on factory wheels, they will just actually measure 31
Yeah, I have 31-10.5s on my stock Ranger wheels. You can do any size just as long as you keep the width below 10.5

Ben

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all I am brand new to the forum and to owning a broncoII. I am looking for help on what i should do. I bought an 89 B2 with 153000 miles on it and its in great working condition. I bought it from an old man that used it as a daily driver and he was the original owner. there are no mods on it yet and i think everything is stock. Im looking for suggestions on where i should start. This is going to be a Hunting Truck so I dont need to jack it up 6 inches I was thinking about 2 inch lift so i dont have to redo all the gears. Any thoughts????
a 2" lift really isn't much... I would suggest 4" lift and 31x10.50 tires to allow enough clearance to get over smaller fallen trees in the way. gears are not a matter of lift, but rather tire size. 31s turn fine with 3.73 gears, and if you are lucky you might even have 4.10 gears (check your axle code on inside edge of drivers door, and compare it with the list in the tech library under 7.5"/8.8" axles) if you go bigger than 31s, you will need to look at new front/rear axles out of an Explorer, the stock front axle you have wont last long with anything bigger.

shadow11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
a 2" lift really isn't much... I would suggest 4" lift and 31x10.50 tires to allow enough clearance to get over smaller fallen trees in the way. gears are not a matter of lift, but rather tire size. 31s turn fine with 3.73 gears, and if you are lucky you might even have 4.10 gears (check your axle code on inside edge of drivers door, and compare it with the list in the tech library under 7.5"/8.8" axles) if you go bigger than 31s, you will need to look at new front/rear axles out of an Explorer, the stock front axle you have wont last long with anything bigger.
Wouldn't I have to lengthen some things if I went up to 4 inches? Does anyone ever add a bodylift with the suspension lift for better tire clearance or does that matter. Where are you guys buying accessories Im looking for a brush guard, winch, and fender flares.

speed1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
LMC truck has a lot of accesories as well as autopartswarehouse, broncograveyard.com, and local parts yards.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check out what Jim is selling here.
Parts in the top right corner, or here...
http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/

Lots of people do body lifts for bigger tires, but 31s will fit with only 2" of lift. If you go with bigger tires than that, your front axle wont last long. A cheap 4" lift is only about $500, or you could piece one together via the internet, junkyard, and classifieds on this site and elsewhere.
The front you need pivot brackets, either drop brackets for rad. arms, or extended radius arms (extended is more expensive, but gives better wheel articulation.) coil springs and shocks, and a drop pitman arm. Perhaps longer brake lines too. I just picked up drop brackets from the classifieds on this site for $135, still searching for a pitman arm, might end up buying a new one...

For the back, you have some options. Blocks, Add-a-leafs, new leaf springs, new shackles, or a mixture of these. I am going with Explorer leaf springs ($20 each from jy) and 2" lift blocks (free, jy. Yours may charge. 4x4 Rangers came with blocks.) and hoping for 3-4" of lift over my old tired Bronco II springs, but it may only gain me 2.5".. If that is not enough, I will add belltech 6400 shackles for an additional 2", and if I end up doing a 6" lift up front I might get some add-a-leafs for the Explorer springs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-6400/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLF-2325/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXP-13120/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLF-1109/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals