• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auto trans no lock up

RDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
87 BII 2.9 autotrans W/overdrive P235/75/15 tires ,shifts into 4th gear and stays at 2500 rpm around 45mph, cant see that the TC is locking up. When I let off the gas the rpm drops back down to 800-900 then goes back up to around 2500 again when I step back on gas. Does this transmission even have a lock up torque converter ?, if it does I saw where you can do a manual switch by ground to pin 53 on ecu. But I would like to repair it . Obviously it is operated by some type of solenoid , so where is it and is it a common problem ? Thanks

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Ok luckily I can help u out. On drivers side of the trans there's a 2 wire plug. Take a multi or volt meter and figure out which is power. Take the one that's not powered and cut it and touch it to the trans pan or case. Do this with the ignition switch in the key on engine off position. If u hear a click the tcc is working and its an electrical problem, if no click its the tcc. Now splice into the wire u grounded and run that the the pos side of a toggle switch, then run the other pole to a constand ground. Flip the switch with key on. And listen for the click(assistant helps here). It will only engage lockup even with the manuall switch over 52 mph, and will do it in 3rd or od. If it doesn't engage and your tcc is working then its the locku in the torque converte. Btw when u wire in the toggle switch tape the end off going to the pcm, don't slice that wire into the switch when u wire up the plugged end

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals