• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello guys, new in town

Elchai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello every body!!!., as you now know im a newbie, so be nice...ha-ha., I own a 02 explorer sport, which i love, but i have a nagging problem with the differential, its humming like crazy, i already opened it up and it is beyond repair,(without costing an arm), so all i can come up with, is replacing it with a less expensive (junk yard) one, that being said, would anyone of you know, if a diff, from an older, say 96 explorer, not sport mind you fit in my truck, the reason of course is that the older the truck, the cheaper the parts.
Thanks beforehand

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
95-01 explorers and 98-10 rangers all the same

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think 2002 was the first year of the independent rear suspension but it was the same 8.8 diff as the 03/04 Cobras got.

Which probably sucks just as badly since the Cobras are doing nothing but getting more expensive. You might get lucky enough to call around to various shops and see if they have one lying around. Popular swap is to take out the IRS and swap in a solid 8.8 or 9" for drag racing.

The simple answer to your question is no. Earlier parts will not work.

Elchai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
O.K. Guys thanks, my sister owns an explorer 00 4.0 xlt, thats where i got the brainstorm, i figured...Since the rims are the same, and diff. is also the same, why not try an older model, that has the same size rims, and has rear disc brakes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think 2002 was the first year of the independent rear suspension but it was the same 8.8 diff as the 03/04 Cobras got.
You are only half right there Mike. The 02 and 03 Explorer SPORTs (which is what we are dealing with here) retained the solid rear axle along with a few other carry-overs from the previous FS Explorer body. The Sport Trac retained the solid rear up until 08.

To the OP, if you have a solid 8.8 rear, any solid 8.8 rear with the same brake setup (disc or drum) and the same gear ratio will pretty much bolt into place of your old axle.

A different rear end ratio will mess with your 4x4, so matching the gears will be important.

Elchai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
adsm08. I think you are the man!!!, you've made me decide, tomorrow morning i'll start making some phone calls and hopefully by the end of the day i'll be looking at some quotes...and if everything goes well, i'll have a new diff. come monday, Ill keep you posted, thanks a million.

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are only half right there Mike. The 02 and 03 Explorer SPORTs (which is what we are dealing with here) retained the solid rear axle along with a few other carry-overs from the previous FS Explorer body. The Sport Trac retained the solid rear up until 08.

To the OP, if you have a solid 8.8 rear, any solid 8.8 rear with the same brake setup (disc or drum) and the same gear ratio will pretty much bolt into place of your old axle.

A different rear end ratio will mess with your 4x4, so matching the gears will be important.
You are very correct sir and I am guilty of not reading closely enough and shooting off my mouth.

Good catch.:icon_cheers:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
pic a part out here is 200ish for any 5 lug axle

Elchai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looked in to that, but only found the parts for the diff., and mine is beyond repair, i need a replacement diff., unless i was looking in the wrong place in here.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are very correct sir and I am guilty of not reading closely enough and shooting off my mouth.

Good catch.:icon_cheers:
I actually probably wouldn't have caught that myself if I hadn't been working on the back of an 02 Sport at work that day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals