• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 Ranger clicking

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wow, that is loud. Those engines weren't exactly quiet, and videos on the internet are hard to diagnose sounds with, but that seems excessive to me.

The fuel injectors on the 2.3/2.5 tended to be loud, and I think that is some is what I am hearing, but not all of it. It is happening too fast to be just injectors.

Kinda sounds like valve train noise, maybe. The speakers on this computer suck, and because it's a video, not a live engine, I can't localize it.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
It could be perfectly normal, and nothing is going bad. If you are really concerned, then get a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and connect to the sending unit. Read your oil pressure cold at idle, and hot at idle and the engine running at, say, 2000rpms. Record the numbers and post them. If your idle pressure is below 10psi, hot, I'd consider you may have wear problems. If it is above that, and 2k pressure is above 30, I'd say you should be OK. If you had a warning light for oil pressure, it would be factory set to illuminate at about the 5-8 psi range. They are not really too accurate.
If you cannot develop pressure, with a low mileage engine you'd look for something abnormal, with a high mileage engine, you'd expect and look for bearing wear.
tom

added: It sounds like injector firing to me, or possibly slight valve train noise. The consistency makes me think it is normal noise. Some injectors are noisy. The Mazda 2.3 did have problems with the intake manifold runner flapper thingy.(tech term!!) It would make noise that would drive a saint crazy. Disconnect the vacuum line, and wham, quiet.

splain: when I say Mazda, I mean the engine is a Mazda design, slated for a front drive passenger car, and turned for truck duty.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my 2005 with 335,000 miles is quieter than that.
2006 does not have the intake runner flaps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals