• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The TwoNiners!

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
the ram owner used to own a jeep and went wheeling all the time. the F350 owner has owned trucks ever since we got our licences. this is my frist truck, was my first time using 4 wheel drive, and my first time off roading...
So it has nothing to do with the other trucks being much larger/heavier with stiffer suspension (for tow/haul) than a little ranger? What if you took your 2.9 and powered the F350 with it? My point is that the ENGINE didn't allow you to be more capable off-road.

But, I should remove myself from the conversation. I'm anti-2.9L. Too small for anything I ask of it (and to me reliable means it doesn't have ANY problems including chugging, running rich, dieing, ect...).

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
Brooo, you can't hate on a 2.9... Can it pull a 8,000 pounds boat? No. Can it do a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds? No. Can she crack up after overheating and blowing a head? Hell yes! Sure the 4.0 nice... but one something on it breaks....she breaks... what the points of extra power when I've seen 2.9 engines out last 4.0 blocks doing the exact same off-roading and daily driving. I think Ford made a damn fine 4x4 engine. Sure it no monster engine, but she can take one hell of a beating.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen 4.0's do the same thing. There are many Similarities between the 2 actually.
When I say 4.0 I mean the OHV one. Not the SOHC.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sure the 4.0 nice... but one something on it breaks....she breaks...
Guess what, when something breaks in a 2.9 breaks, she breaks too.

The 4.0 is what the 2.9 should have been from the start... and breaks far less often.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha i believe this was for the "TWO NINERS"

opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, but not everyone wants to hear em...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think Ford made a damn fine car engine
Fixed it for you... :)

My original 1988 2.9L engine lasted 98,000 miles. It had been around a while, and it was taken care of. It's the only vehicle I have ever owned that had a problem with the heads - it cracked a head, which they are notorious for doing. Trashed the bottom end, needed a whole rebuild. Out of production since '92, time to move on, you're 10-15 years too late.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fixed it for you... :)

My original 1988 2.9L engine lasted 98,000 miles. It had been around a while, and it was taken care of. It's the only vehicle I have ever owned that had a problem with the heads - it cracked a head, which they are notorious for doing. Trashed the bottom end, needed a whole rebuild. Out of production since '92, time to move on, you're 10-15 years too late.
179k on mine and starts every time and runs great... all at about 20MPG too

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i liked my 2.9... it was alright. :icon_confused: to bad the 4.0 is a lot better :yahoo: i love my b2 w/ the 4.0
there was nothing wrong w/ my 2.9... i just got a full explorer for $300...so why not do a 4.0 swap?

and my a4ld has been great. i've never had transmission issues.. from my 2.9 a4ld, my 4.0 a4ld, or the 2wd explorer we have... all have been great. i have a thread on here about "why hate on the a4ld?" b/c i've NEVER had transmission issues from them. mine shifts just fine. my 2.9 one worked fine behind my 4.0 for a few months. i just swapped them out b/c i found out the internals of the 4.0 was slightly different. since i had both, i just used the 4.0 one for the 4.0.
60mph @4000 RPMs and wont engage in over drive, plus it would stall the truck out sometimes when the vehicle came to a stop... if i ever fly out to pick up the truck, its getting an M5OD.. i just dont like autos, i have more fun with sticks.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
60mph @4000 RPMs and wont engage in over drive, plus it would stall the truck out sometimes when the vehicle came to a stop... if i ever fly out to pick up the truck, its getting an M5OD.. i just dont like autos, i have more fun with sticks.
lucky you i guess... lol. my 60 is around 2000 rpms. that's w/ 4.56's and 33's.
bring me your "broken" a4ld, i know someone that needs one. they are stupid simple to rebuild.

if you're a manual type guy... don't hate on autos, just say i want a stick :icon_rofl: i know, i know... its broken. but they are seriously the easiest auto to rebuild i've ever had opened.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
lol, This page is for the people who love the 2.9, not the 4.0. We can agree to disagree. You like the 4.0 I LOVE the 2.9. BTW, I started my build today guys! I bought a 1989 4x4 manual 5 speed 2.9 ranger a while back... Got a new crate 2.9 engine coming in this week or next, new 90's heads ported and polished, larger cam for low end torque(NOT to big where the computer needs to be re-tuned or anything), headers, 1991 4.0 radiator from a explore (auto) for the extra cooling, 4.0 clutch swap, 200 amp alternator for a dual battery set up, got a good deal going on right now for a larger twin throttle body intake from Morana racing for more low end torque, 31 or 33' inch mud tires, 4.56 or 5.13 gearing ( I want to be super geared up!), Got Dana 35 on the way, also got a STX 8.8 re-end for free that got the larger 10' drum brakes for the rear. AND a locker for my rear end. And a few other things like a custom front bumper with winch and lights, a roll bar/light bar, and tire carrier on the light bar(pre-runner style). AHHHH I'm excited!:icon_welder:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
lol, This page is for the people who love the 2.9, not the 4.0. We can agree to disagree. You like the 4.0 I LOVE the 2.9. BTW, I started my build today guys! I bought a 1989 4x4 manual 5 speed 2.9 ranger a while back... Got a new crate 2.9 engine coming in this week or next, new 90's heads ported and polished, larger cam for low end torque(NOT to big where the computer needs to be re-tuned or anything), headers, 1991 4.0 radiator from a explore (auto) for the extra cooling, 4.0 clutch swap, 200 amp alternator for a dual battery set up, got a good deal going on right now for a larger twin throttle body intake from Morana racing for more low end torque, 31 or 33' inch mud tires, 4.56 or 5.13 gearing ( I want to be super geared up!), Got Dana 35 on the way, also got a STX 8.8 re-end for free that got the larger 10' drum brakes for the rear. AND a locker for my rear end. And a few other things like a custom front bumper with winch and lights, a roll bar/light bar, and tire carrier on the light bar(pre-runner style). AHHHH I'm excited!:icon_welder:
A larger cam for low end torque? A larger throttle body for low end torque? You obviously don't know how these parts function in an internal combustion engine. Good for you, you're going to build up a 2.9 (dramatically decreasing its reliability) and still have sub-4.0L power.

These threads are the same as the 3.0L Vs. 4.0L threads, the 4.6 vs 5.4 F150s, 4.0 vs 4.6 mustangs, ect....

It basically boils down to this. A guy with a small penis tries to justify his small penis (hopefully to convince the guys with the larger penis) that he is just as capable and can do it all. Sure they both pee, but the bigger guys don't need to lean forward. Sure the 2.9 powers the truck down the road, but throw a few thousand pounds behind it or ask your truck to giddy up onto the highway quickly and you'll be wishing you had more motor.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
lucky you i guess... lol. my 60 is around 2000 rpms. that's w/ 4.56's and 33's.
bring me your "broken" a4ld, i know someone that needs one. they are stupid simple to rebuild.

if you're a manual type guy... don't hate on autos, just say i want a stick :icon_rofl: i know, i know... its broken. but they are seriously the easiest auto to rebuild i've ever had opened.
help me pull it and its yours! if the truck was here, i would of probly rebuilt it and kept it auto, but if i fly back out to cali, i dont wana deal with rebuiling just drop and gogogo!!! its not that i hate an auto, its just that it feels so unatural to me, last week i had to drive my dads f-150 with an auto, lets just say clutch foot was looking for a pedal when he thought it was downshift time and now nose is pissed off at him...

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
A larger cam for low end torque? A larger throttle body for low end torque? You obviously don't know how these parts function in an internal combustion engine. Good for you, you're going to build up a 2.9 (dramatically decreasing its reliability) and still have sub-4.0L power.

These threads are the same as the 3.0L Vs. 4.0L threads, the 4.6 vs 5.4 F150s, 4.0 vs 4.6 mustangs, ect....

It basically boils down to this. A guy with a small penis tries to justify his small penis (hopefully to convince the guys with the larger penis) that he is just as capable and can do it all. Sure they both pee, but the bigger guys don't need to lean forward. Sure the 2.9 powers the truck down the road, but throw a few thousand pounds behind it or ask your truck to giddy up onto the highway quickly and you'll be wishing you had more motor.
Is this all you do? you go to people threads and find all the stuff that wrong and then go on a rant about it? Dude, I'm not saying the 2.9 can out pull a 4.0 or out run it. is the 4.0 a nice engine? Yep. Do i want one? No. You did your 4.0 swap, congratulations. Now can you let everyone else who wants to keep there 2.9 alone? Id drop 10 grand in my 2.9 and if tomorrow it blew up...id start all over again. Not everyone like you man... I'm not going to toss my 2.9 to the side just because there over 80% of people on this site going "4.0 swap! 4.0 Swap!" I don't like to go down the road EVERYONE else goes down. I make my own fun, and when I have my ranger with it 2.9... I cant ever have enough fun. :icon_thumby: I'm a simple man, and yeah, I'll admit im NO master mechanic neither do i believe I could be a great mechanic. But I have fun working on my truck and that good enough for me. I'm not here debate the 2.9 vs the 4.0. I made this thread for everyone (IF anyone) wants to talk about there 2.9 or has any ideas or stories about there 2.9; if you want to talk about the 4.0 make a thread called "TheFourOhers." I would not trade my 2.9 for a 6.1 Power-stroke engine (2011-2012 versions) pushing out an amazing 800 pounds of torque.

Last edited by a moderator:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is this all you do? you go to people threads and find all the stuff that wrong and then go on a rant about it? Dude, I'm not saying the 2.9 can out pull a 4.0 or out run it. is the 4.0 a nice engine? Yep. Do i want one? No. You did your 4.0 swap, congratulations. Now can you let everyone else who wants to keep there 2.9 alone? Id drop 10 grand in my 2.9 and if tomorrow it blew up...id start all over again. Not everyone like you man... I'm not going to toss my 2.9 to the side just because there over 80% of people on this site going "4.0 swap! 4.0 Swap!" I don't like to go down the road EVERYONE else goes down. I make my own fun, and when I have my ranger with it 2.9... I cant ever have enough fun. :icon_thumby: I'm a simple man, and yeah, I'll admit im NO master mechanic neither do i believe I could be a great mechanic. But I have fun working on my truck and that good enough for me. I'm not here debate the 2.9 vs the 4.0. I made this thread for everyone (IF anyone) wants to talk about there 2.9 or has any ideas or stories about there 2.9; if you want to talk about the 4.0 make a thread called "TheFourOhers." I would not trade my 2.9 for a 6.1 Power-stroke engine (2011-2012 versions) pushing out an amazing 800 pounds of torque.
I have seen 2.3's and 2.8's do incredible things offroad too.

It is a 6.7 Powerstroke, and yes I would entertain trading my Ranger for one so I could sell it, buy my Ranger back and put a big dent in buying a house. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals