• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody have access to a metal lathe?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So the slave cylinder in my F-150 died for about the 4th time a couple weeks ago. It died in a pretty spectacular manner as it froze solid halfway between depressing the clutch and the pushrod on the master cylinder detonated when I continued pressure on the pedal. :annoyed:

The last time I replaced the slave cylinder I swore that if I had to drop the trans to replace it again, I'd be changing the trans to a ZF. So when it died I forged ahead on my quest for an external slave ZF.....

Holy heck are they hard to find used! I ended up with an internal slave model, but it's an older one that uses a heavier slave. I thought that I had about all the parts I'd need for the swap but I was proven wrong.... the heavier slave cylinder takes a different hydro line, the shifter boot on top of the trans is torn and for whatever reason someone took the shifter stub and bushings out of it. I have a new boot and new bushings now and I'm waiting on a shifter stub. That being said, I have no shifter that will work with a ZF and my search for one has only resulted in me finding overpriced shifters.

So I had an idea to use a piece of 3/4" stainless rod, turn the top down and thread it 3/8"x24 to be able to use an older Ford shift knob. The bottom of the rod needs to be flattened, drilled and tapped. No bends. Simple.

Except I don't have the tools to do it and I haven't been successful at finding anyone local to do it.:sad:

Anyone have the tools to do it or access to the tools that could make me my new shifter? Surely someone on here can help me out!

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
lil blue should have talked to mat.. hes got one lol well it at my house i dont see a problem in making that for ya..

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
lil blue should have talked to mat.. hes got one lol well it at my house i dont see a problem in making that for ya..
lol, yea, I guess I should have called Matt. I've had my mind on so much else going on that my brain is fried... my F-150 has been down for two weeks now and in between working on that and trying to source parts, I've been working on fixing a boat and trying to make money.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hard to believe there isn't some small "back-alley" machine shop that would be happy to take care of you. Does the local high school have a machine shop?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Shoot some dimensions our way and we'll hook you up

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Shoot some dimensions our way and we'll hook you up
Thanks, I was hoping to get some dimensions for you today but that didn't happen. I ended up home early from work because the rain we were not supposed to get happened. Since it was rainy, I decided to try to squeeze in a brew day instead of working on the truck. While the grain for the brew was mashing, I did spend a few minutes on the truck, hooked up my new hydro line and found that I couldn't get any pressure at all from the master cylinder. None. Brand new master cylinder too. *sigh*

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Try using a pump type oil can filled with brake fluid to force feed it

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Well if they work...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The good news...

Clutch is finally bled. I didn't use a pump oiler, but I did try reverse bleeding by pumping fluid through the bleeder. It didn't work out. I managed to spray about a cup of brake fluid all over the underside of the truck in the process. Don't ask how. Ended up taking the line off the slave and bleeding that first, then bleeding the slave.

The not-so-good news....

The shifter stub that I got is incorrect. It fits the transmission just fine and will cycle through all the gears. The Ford part number that was on it was the correct number, but the ZF casting number was not. I put it in anyway and discovered that instead of pointing towards the drivers seat.... it points towards the dash. I'm not exactly sure that I want to try to deal with returning it and trying to hunt down the correct one at this point. Which means that to work, my shifter is going to have to sport some pretty radical bends.... :annoyed:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Only the 7.5L (460) and 7.3 (Diesel) versions of the ZF trans used an external slave.

So IF you had found an external slave ZF you'd now have a transmission that simply would not bolt up to your 4.9/5.0/5.8 engine

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Only the 7.5L (460) and 7.3 (Diesel) versions of the ZF trans used an external slave.

So IF you had found an external slave ZF you'd now have a transmission that simply would not bolt up to your 4.9/5.0/5.8 engine
Learn something new every day I guess... Thanks for the input, I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks AD.

That said... I still stand by my comment that the engineer who designed the internal slave cylinder should be beat about the head and the neck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals