• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wont start but turns over!!

Ranger22danger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so got a question i have a 1994 ford ranger 2wd 2.3 litre and it is turning over but not starting... Would that be eletric ignition or my coil packs?
I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and all the top end gaskets. The timing marks are spot on so it is not my timing. It is not getting any spark... I need help cause i am stumped it seems like this thing has ghosts in it hahaha!

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Possible coil packs or fuel pump went out.

Cadger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's not getting any spark, make sure you have your crank sensor plugged in. The coils won't fire without a crank reference.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yea, i agree with the CPS being off, especially since timing belt work was done.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if it's a california model with a cam sensor and you didn't keep the auxiliary shaft aligned that could do it too...

so it was running fine and you replaced those parts and now it suddenly doesn't start? Sounds like something got unplugged or something in the process...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Cam sensor shouldnt keep it from starting, but you can unplugg it to be sure(If it's a cali model). definitely make sure all 3 screws are in the ICM, the crank sensor it plugged in and not damaged, and that all conections are good to the ICM and coil packs... Good luck.

Ranger22danger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think this truck has ghosts because right before i bought it from my dad he had just dumped like 800 bucks into it because it started to run funny and so he took it to the shop and while the mechanic was looking at it. the truck just dies and they couldnt get it running for two weeks. And the other day i was driving down the road at 55 mph and it just died on me. I pulled to the side of the road turned the key off and then fired it back up. then about a week later it I went to a friends house it was driving great no problems, and that was the last time i have got to drive it well unless you count towing it like 20 miles so i could get it home. So i think i am going to just buy a 4.0 carburated motor and not worry about it no more
Thank you guys for all the answer

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
you should just fix the problem and drive it for another 100k miles. Nothing is that complicated really. Shit, for $800 bux I could just guess an answer by replacing parts... thats nuts.

ChargerOnDavins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
two 2003, 1 200
Make / Model
3 Ford & 1 Dodg
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel pump - one of fords weak points. Still rather own 1 ford to 5 chevy or 10 dodge.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think this truck has ghosts because right before i bought it from my dad he had just dumped like 800 bucks into it because it started to run funny and so he took it to the shop and while the mechanic was looking at it. the truck just dies and they couldnt get it running for two weeks. And the other day i was driving down the road at 55 mph and it just died on me. I pulled to the side of the road turned the key off and then fired it back up. then about a week later it I went to a friends house it was driving great no problems, and that was the last time i have got to drive it well unless you count towing it like 20 miles so i could get it home. So i think i am going to just buy a 4.0 carburated motor and not worry about it no more
Thank you guys for all the answer
you should just fix the problem and drive it for another 100k miles. Nothing is that complicated really. Shit, for $800 bux I could just guess an answer by replacing parts... thats nuts.
-if it it's a cali model it should have an obd-ii port and no ICM
-these trucks are pretty simple, if you are not able to figure it out i doubt very much you would have the skills to drop in a carbed 4.0 and get it running.
-I am confused about whether it ever ran after the TB install
-I am confused if you have spark or not........next time this happens determine if you have spark and or fuel
-I am not sure what they were doing for 2 weeks maybe they were using as a free parts delivery truck. I am a back yard mechanic and I bet I would have this figured out in less than an hour.
-relay? key cylinder? ignition switch?
-any CEL or pending codes?

Last edited:

Ranger22danger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have no spark
Coils are fine
it is either one of three things cps, fuel pump, ignition control module
which they are all over 140 bucks
So i dont want to buy something and it be wrong
and dont have the right tools and live to far out of town to get into town to get them
so that is why i havent really been hurry to fix it but thanks for the disrespect...

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
but thanks for the disrespect...

the only thing disrespected here was our time.......get lost..........i would changed your screen name...no one will be helping you next time.........

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you have no spark, there are only a few pieces of the ignition system. The crank sensor, ignition module (if equipped), and coil packs. The passenger side coil is the only one that fires during cranking.

Ranger22danger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I checked my fuel pressure and it ws like 7 or 8 lbs so right now i am dropping the tank and putting a whole new pump. Sorry about the other posts didnt mean to sound all bitchy my bad thank you all for the help though. It sux not having the right tools and you have to wait on other people to see if you can borrow them.. ugh! but hopefully this works. Thank you all!!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
don't know if it's too late, but it's easier to take the bed off than drop the tank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals