• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bought a GREAT truck!!! Oh no wait... Nevermind... It's junk.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
A couple of months ago, I sold my B2 project... but not before spending a small fortune in parts and making it run GREAT. I am STILL kicking myself over it. Impulsive move number 31,092... Onto impulsive move number 31, 093...

BEHOLD!!! My '01 Explorer Sport! (insert fanfare trumpets and confetti here)

Afterall... It is LIKE a Bronco II, is it not? well... kind of anyway...

INTERIOR SHOT!!! (More fanfare and confetti here)

This thing has every option (Less leather, which I HATE anyway), is a one-owner and it is CUH-LEEEEN! It looks like it has never been driven! (save for the small wear spot in the console top and the pop tart icing my daughter added to the passenger's seat...)

I got it home and 3 days later, discover it has a BLOWN HEAD GASKET! now, I did the head job on the B2, but I am not looking to do it again... and of COURSE the dealer said that I bought it "As is" and he is not going to help me out at ALL...

... or... IS he?

I started making noise on the Internet and registered complaints with... blah blah blah... THEN! I discovered during a short chat with a DMV inspector that the vehicle had not passed an inspection, which is a REQUIREMENT in NC BEFORE a dealer is allowed to offer a vehicle for sale. The inspector told me that the dealer would gleefully be fixing my Explorer, else he shall feel her wrath... Ok... that was highly paraphrased, but you get the idea.

I got "Johnny Car Dealer Guy" to sign a contract with me to replace the existing 4.0L SOHC with one from an '07 -'10 Mustang. He agreed and picked up an '07 engine with 30k on the clock yesterday. I also added a 90 day warranty on the vehicle into the contract (which he signed).

When the work is completed (he says Sunday, but I doubt that) I have the right to have it inspected by a mechanic of my choosing before accepting it. If I have ANY problems for 90 days after that, I retain the right to drive into his office, park on his desk and demand my money back. (Again, paraphrased), but you get the idea.

I STILL DO miss the B2, however.

Last edited:

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Good investigative work. Hopefully they look over the used motor very well before installing it.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure they will, since the contract I made him sign gives me a 90 day warranty. I am SURE he doesn't want to pay for another one to be installed. My understanding is the they got to hear it run before buying it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
wow...... to get around that, Cambell Ford pencil whipped the 140 point inspection and cleared the codes on my Blazer since no state inspection is required.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
That was one of the best worded posts I have ever read. I was actually laughing at my desk. Best of luck with that souped up Exploder :icon_cheers:

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
That was one of the best worded posts I have ever read. I was actually laughing at my desk. Best of luck with that souped up Exploder :icon_cheers:
Thank you! I was trying to give it a "lighter feel". Either way, I am excited to get my exploder back. I think I will test it out by doing donuts on his front lawn.:yahoo:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
GET EM! good job man. I love knowing sales rules. cant tell you how many times they have helped me!

Take it to a ford dealer on his expense. Have them do a FULL check. since its part of the "requirements"

Any issues have fixed by HIM. :) screwing the screwed dealer is the only way to do it!

jhammel85

Good Job on that! A lot of people would of just cried and moved on at their own expense. Good luck with it!

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
Absolutely! I wrote in the contract that I get to take to the shop and tech of MY choice to have it checked out BEFORE I take delivery of it. It is going to be to spec or I will NOT accept it. I don't want this to be some hacked up POS that I have to work on every time I turn around!

I was MOST DEFINITELY pining about it mid week... Especially when I found out that NOBODY wanted to touch it for less then $2400.00. I was getting ready to pour every dime I had into it to get it fixed... and then it would still have an engine with 131k on it.

I made SURE that he understood CLEARLY that I was NOT going to accept any hack work. I think that he is crystal clear on what the requirements are at this point.

Yes, stop the presses! I finally got a car dealer to do the right thing!

(And really, what I am asking for is fair). He had the option to either fix the engine it had or replace it. He found it to be more cost effective to replace it, considering what his mechanic MIGHT have found inside the engine.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
He found it to be more cost effective to replace it, considering what his mechanic MIGHT have found inside the engine.
Doesn't help that the engine has to come out to do head gaskets on the SOHC.

The early ones had issues with the head gaskets. There are aftermarket ones that last better.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
Johnny car dealer called me today and said that my Explorer will have a 2007 Mustang engine with 30k miles on it by 10 am tomorrow. He told me that it would have been done today but that they had to get a part that is a dealer only part. We'll see...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They called you on a Sunday!?!?!
WOW!

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah... That's what I thought... Apparently, it is a REALLY big deal for a car dealer in NC to sell an un inspectable vehicle. my buddy says that this guy wants to make me happy and get me out of his life as soon as possible. Good for me! I don't think at this point that he has the balls to "rig" it up.

I am getting that new car xcitement all over again...we'll see...

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Prob a good lesson to anyone buying a used car that if it craps out right after you buy to check to see if it passed inspection before it was placed for sale.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
'scribed...

its clean for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals