• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 BII wont start

chatham

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
have a 1990 BII with 2.9. got up one morning and wouldnt start. would turn over but would not fire. chased down what i think caused the problem. bad connection at the fuel pump. changed the filter for good measure. clean the corrosion out and fuel pump began pumping just fine. now however when i try to start it fires right up and then dies immediately. this happen every time.

i have searched all the forums iincluding this one and havent found much on this problem. i have a haynes manual which is pretty basic. first time for me working on a BII.

for the life of me i cant find the fuel pressure regulator and where the fuel comes into the motor.

is this an issue with running the fuel injectors dry?

thanks for any and all advise

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

That diagram ^ shows your fuel pump power path.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

That diagram ^ (scroll down) shoes which self-test connector pin to ground to make the fuel pump run continuously. That could be handy for your troubleshooting (eliminates lack of fuel pump power).

If you look from the driver side, you can see the braided fuel pressure lines and their quick disconnect fittings going to the fuel rail. Once you find the fuel rail, look all the way back toward the firewall to find the FPR ( http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=41 ) mounted on the top of the fuel rail by two bolts. What I would suggest is having an assistant keep turning the key to Run (for two seconds) and Off while you bleed the air out of the fuel rail schraeder fitting (looks like a tire stem, with a cap). I doubt that is your problem though. It should self-bleed.

I have some 2.9 photos in my Photobucket account (Earl43P, album STX) if you feel like looking at those. Can't recall if I have a good shot that would help you or not.

chatham

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thank you for the input. i will give this a try and hope for the best.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals