• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Fordzuki

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, here's my frankenstein. It started out as a '72 Suzuki LJ20. I picked up an '83 Ford Ranger 2wd longbed regular cab, which was a good running little truck till I got to it. Muahaha. So basically I started with a bone stock Suzuki, and stripped everything down. The only things left from the original rig are basically the body and frame. The first things I picked up were a Samurai transfercase and axles. Now, I know what you're thinking. Where does the Ranger come in? Well, I needed a good running motor and decent tranny to put in front of the samurai transfercase. A buddy of mine was at the time trying to sell his '83 Ranger, and I knew it ran and drove good, so I payed a whopping $200 for it. Well, actually $100, because my dad needed some body parts for his ranger, and so we split the cost. I got the little ranger home and immediately went to work yanking the running gear and was soon on my way to fitting it into the LJ.
So for about the last 4 months, I've been cutting and welding, making a crazy little rockcrawler. The ford parts in it include the 2.3 liter 4 banger with a Weber on it, the stock 4 speed, all the wiring and the steering column, the brake and clutch pedals with aluminum bracket, the master cylinders for the brakes and clutch, the rear springs (which were cut in half and used just the main leafs for 1/4 eliptical rear) and the slipyoke into the tranny and the rearmost flange of the driveline. The non ford parts include samurai axles, transfercase, and modified drivelines (the rear is shortened and the front is lengthened due to the length of the drivetrain), Datsun 620 rear leafs up front, outboarded on the frame, toyota IFS steering box with modified pitman arm to accept a custom samurai z-link, john deere tractor toplinks for the rear triangulated 4-link (the bottoms were cut and welded around D44 axleshafts to strengthen), and a whole bunch of 3/16ths steel plate.
As of right now, I need to get some calipers for the front axle, run my brakelines, run the wiring, install a fuel tank and fuel lines, and either find a small enough radiator to fit in the front and still keep it cool, or run some tube to the back and run the ranger radiator with electric fans.
Here's some pics of the build.

Last edited:

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I've always like the look of those LJ20's. Looks like a fun project, keep up the good work.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Look at that...............

He is saying Hello. I am Ford Zuki....... mess with me and I'll kick your ass.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, tonight I got home and UPS finally brought my ream, so I reamed out the pitman arm and assembled the steering. This was the last thing needed for the steering. I also finished up my drivers side shock tower, so both shocks are in. This wraps up the suspension, so now all I need is brakes, fuel, wiring and the radiator. I'll probably start disassembling everything soon, back down to a bare frame, so I can finish some of the welding that is inaccessable with the components bolted in. Then the frame can get a nice coat of primer and paint, and I can put it all back together.

Not All There

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
freaking love it!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Man that thing looks AWESOME!!! Probably the coolest conversion ive seen.

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats going to be one sweet rig, cant wait to see it finished

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, thanks again everyone, just an update, I ended up using a Datsun radiator and got that installed today, I removed the stock clutch fan, and will be running an electric. I got the battery tray/ passenger side apron built also, this will hold the battery and starter relay. Pictures to follow.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, I got a little antsy with the radiator in, I filled it up, plugged all my wiring harnesses in and decided to take it for a spin. I still have no brakes or fuel system, so I took an empty oil jug, popped a hole in the cap and used a brass fitting stuffed through it. I hooked this up to the fuel line, which is currently running no fuel pump. The mechanical one got in the way of the steering shaft, so I had to cut out a blockoff plate with the plasma cutter and I'll have to get an electric one. For now I ziptied the oil jug to the master cylinder, which is higher than the carb, and surprisingly it ran quite well on just gravity. I was able to run around in the field for a couple minutes, and play in the ditch a little too. Here's a pic and a short video. I realized when I got back in the garage that I had the hubs unlocked the whole time.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, it's getting close, I got a fuel cell and electric fuel pump and so the fuel system is complete, buttoned up some of the loose ends like wiring, guages, extended diff breathers, electric fan, and of course the pintle hitch. =)

The fuel cell and pump

Underhood

The pintle hitch

First test on the ramp

Rear shot on the ramp

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
freaking sweet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals