• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"map ligh"t fix/replacement inquiry

sgull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to replace the "map" light fixture on my '98 Ranger. It's the fixture up on the ceiling in the cab right above the middle of the back window and has a sliding switch. I suppose it could be called the dome light or the cab light but apparently it's referred to as the map light. I'm pretty sure I busted something on the fixture, like a tab or whatever, when I was in a hurry trying to pry off the cover (lens) to remove the bulb(s) one time in the past when the light wouldn't turn off even with the doors shut. The light still works but I can't replace the cover because like I said something (a tab or whatever) that holds the cover (lens) onto the base of the fixture apparently has broken and so it won't snap back on.

I read somewhere (maybe this forum) but can't find it anymore where an upgrade to these particular map lights can be done by replacing this style fixture with that from an Explorer so that it's not the sliding switch anymore but would then be pushbutton switches instead. What I recall reading is that on the Explorer fixture I'd need to clip off or cut off a couple of tabs on the fixture (or something like that) so it will fit into the Ranger. So I was thinking of going ahead and doing that if I could get my hands on the right fixture from an Explorer somebody might be parting out but I can't remember the year range of Explorer that will work for the swap-out.

If anybody knows here, can they let me know. Also, after that or along with that I'd like to change out the situation so that the bulbs are LED, if that's not a big deal to accomplish. Any comments/advice/guidance about any of the above appreciated.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to replace the "map" light fixture on my '98 Ranger. It's the fixture up on the ceiling in the cab right above the middle of the back window and has a sliding switch. I suppose it could be called the dome light or the cab light but apparently it's referred to as the map light. I'm pretty sure I busted something on the fixture, like a tab or whatever, when I was in a hurry trying to pry off the cover (lens) to remove the bulb(s) one time in the past when the light wouldn't turn off even with the doors shut. The light still works but I can't replace the cover because like I said something (a tab or whatever) that holds the cover (lens) onto the base of the fixture apparently has broken and so it won't snap back on.

I read somewhere (maybe this forum) but can't find it anymore where an upgrade to these particular map lights can be done by replacing this style fixture with that from an Explorer so that it's not the sliding switch anymore but would then be pushbutton switches instead. What I recall reading is that on the Explorer fixture I'd need to clip off or cut off a couple of tabs on the fixture (or something like that) so it will fit into the Ranger. So I was thinking of going ahead and doing that if I could get my hands on the right fixture from an Explorer somebody might be parting out but I can't remember the year range of Explorer that will work for the swap-out.

If anybody knows here, can they let me know. Also, after that or along with that I'd like to change out the situation so that the bulbs are LED, if that's not a big deal to accomplish. Any comments/advice/guidance about any of the above appreciated.
Without the light gray lettering for those of us with a white background. :shok:

I don't know about the Explorer light but the local parts store had LED's for my F-150 dome light that just went right in and fit perfect.

I like the more yellow light in my Ranger. Fits an old truck better than bright white.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think he broke the snap-on lens and wants to upgrade the fixture.

OP; check the "how to tech" articles. Your info might be there. Click the tab at the top of this page and follow links to electrical or interior upgrade sections.

Some people get the map light/roof console that mounts in the front near the windshield. Get one from an explorer of a similar year as your ranger. The front roof structure will be virtually identical. I know I read the tech article on that a while back.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

sgull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Without the light gray lettering for those of us with a white background.
I don't know about the Explorer light but the local parts store had LED's for my F-150 dome light that just went right in and fit perfect.
I like the more yellow light in my Ranger. Fits an old truck better than bright white.
Sorry for the weird light gray lettering there originally; didn't intend for that to come out that way. Thanks for re-copying in the next post, so people can SEE it. :shok:

Yeah on second consideration I don't think I'd be too crazy about the modern LEDs either and would just as soon stick with the old yellers in my old '98. Thanks...

sgull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I think he broke the snap-on lens and wants to upgrade the fixture. OP; check the "how to tech" articles. Your info might be there. Click the tab at the top of this page and follow links to electrical or interior upgrade sections. Some people get the map light/roof console that mounts in the front near the windshield. Get one from an explorer of a similar year as your ranger. The front roof structure will be virtually identical. I know I read the tech article on that a while back.
Thanks Eric B. I'll definitely try to track down the tech article as you suggest. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals