• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 ranger cooling gauge and obd2 access?

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
96 ranger 3.0 ranger. I can't connect to the obd2 port. None of the fuses are blown either. Any ideas?

Also, the coolant gauge is almost non functional. Temp sending unit or possibly the gauge in the cluster itself??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can't physically plug into the port?

Or can't "talk" to computer?

1995 and early 1996 Ford computers did have issues talking with some scanner/readers

Does the CEL(check engine light) come on with the key?
That means computer is booting up

Temp SENDER will have just 1 wire connected, it uses its threads and the engine as the GROUND.
So unplug that wire from sender and ground it
Turn on the key
Temp gauge should go all the way up to HOT.
Leave key on and unground that wire
Gauge should go down to COLD

If that happens then wire and gauge are OK, replace sender

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its just having issues talking with the scanner. I use the "torque" app on my phone and a bluetooth obd2 adapter. the adapter is getting power at the port on the truck and the other lights are blinking along with the app searching protocols. I'm guessing its just having whatever issue you were talking about trying to get it to communicate. seems like this might be a pain in the butt lol.

got the temp gauge working. when I bought the truck, it just had frothy muddy water in the radiator so I fully intended to flush the radiator and block. come to find out there was no thermostat in the engine either. :annoyed: picked up a t-state/gasket/temp sensor all at once, flushed the block, put everything on and cranked it up with fresh antifreeze. temp gauge works and it holds temp fine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The elm327 bluetooth, or its "clones", sometimes had issues with Ford OBD2

I would try your set up on another vehicle, non-Ford if possible, and make sure it works

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well poo. I just gave my old corded obd2 code reader to my dad too. Guess I will borrow it back. I've had this one for a while. It even worked on my other 98 ranger. But yeah I figured it was something like that. It keeps searching through protocols. The reader does work though, I use it all the time on my bmw x5 with a tablet paired for gauge overlay. I even checked it a couple times when I had the issue.

I was just wondering if it was a random issue like my dad's 04 f150 where the obd2 port gets power through the cigarette lighter circuit and the fuse would blow....all fuses were good but you never know if there is some other common malady unless you ask though

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
still trying to figure out how to connect to the obd2 port but the cooing gauge is now working.

a 95-96 explorer cluster works...one with the red "6" on the tach as it has the same temp sender type as my 96 ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals