• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coil pack problem

Cricket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
90 2.3 no spark on#2 and 3 passenger side coil pack, new wires,plugs coil pack.tested all-- ign.module ,wires, etc.did a spout test , inside cab got wet durring a tropicsl storm. truck wil run ,,<,like crap> engine light stays on cannot retrieve a code please help ,thanks:icon_confused:

Cricket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
forgot to mention tachometer fluxuates on crickets ranger post

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you swap the coil packs out? Is possible you got a bad one from the store. It'll take 5 minutes and if it doesn't work, oh well. But if it does then you saved yourself quite a headache. If they are both "good" or bad, then you likely won't see a difference. Are your connections clean? Dielectric grease them, lightly.

I had a bad primary coil on my old truck (94 2.3) and swapped them out so it would run (to the store). Put the new one on the primary side and the old/good one back to the secondary.

Cricket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Coil Pack Problem

Yes I swapped out coil packs & it made no difference. Forgot to mention that this problem happened due to driving through 3 ft. of water during Tropical storm. Had driven through water like this before & never had any problem.

Water came in the cab. I noticed water was around the computer housing & on the top.

captanron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
coil packs

Yes I swapped out coil packs & it made no difference. Forgot to mention that this problem happened due to driving through 3 ft. of water during Tropical storm. Had driven through water like this before & never had any problem.

Water came in the cab. I noticed water was around the computer housing & on the top.
is there a difference between the coil packs?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
No, there is no difference between the coil packs. Just that the right pack fires to start the engine, then both are operating.

logman7777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just for giggles disconnect your negative battery terminal then unplug your brain then either spray connector and CPU liberally with wire dry or use compressed air to blow any moisture from the connector and/ or the CPU box. You may have some stray water shorting out some signals in a best case scenario. worst case you are chasing through your electrical system or replacing the brain.. GOOD LUCK either way..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals