• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 Mazda B3000 D60 SAS

Stephonix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey Everyone, I've been the happy owner of a 2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport extended cab(edge model) named Rex. About a year ago I converted Rex over to 4wd with manual t-case and locking hubs. After going wheeling a several times it plain as day that IFS sucks! So I started planning a few months ago and so far Rex has a 14Bolt rear with disc brakes, Chevy 64" rear springs and am in the middle of rebuild a 06 F250 D60 and will add 6 inches of lift and go to 35s. I am planning to swap over a Chevy small block in the future either a 5.3 or 6.0 but the point is I would like to be able to use this rig to tow other rigs eventually and here are my unanswered questions:

1. I'm not an expert in springs, I thought of using 99-04 F250 lift springs would be good but I am hearing that they would be too stiff? I've seen Rancho 44044 given the thumbs up, is that what y'all would still recommend even with towing in mind?

2. Obviously I'll just get the steering linkage from an 06 f250 but I will need a steering motor as well, this axle is HUGE, my stock steering knuckles weigh like half or less of the things plus 35s puts a whole lotta stress on the steering motor and onto the pump. Will I need an aftermarket steering pump with a larger reservoir?

3. Obviously my brakes are much larger too, will I need a larger master cylinder?

4. Is there anything else I should be concerned about besides my driveshafts being too short? I do plan to run the springs outside the frame as the D60 is of course full width.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The Ford Superduty springs are designed to hold up the weight of a Superduty and your B3000 is much lighter so it would be very stiff. Maybe unbearably so. You could try removing a leaf to soften it up but you might not like that either.
Best guess (from me, there are guys here that might have done it) is to get springs made at a reputable shop. Probably around the same price as aftermarket for the SD but you can specify what you need. Truck weight is the major factor. You can change dimensions like spring length (to alter mounting points or gain flex) or you could change the center bolt location to move the axle forward or back. There's a fair amount of leeway here since its not going into a truck with established mounting points.
A good shop can help a ton with your build. Suspension geometry is what they do. You will get more flex from these guys than anybody.
If you haven't already bought the axle consider using a 2005 and later axle with coils and radius arms as the leafs will limit steering.

Thats a sharp looking truck you've got there. Decent flex in back for what it is too.
:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals