• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me build up my spare A4LD

Chato308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so I'll cut to the chase, I posted in the intro section with no luck so I'm posting here. I recently bought a 1990 Ranger 4.0 OHV A4LD 4x4 with 212k miles. I bought it knowing OD didn't engage but it came with a spare "good" transmission. Well I've been trying to diagnose the problem with its current bad OD. Well here's what's going on with it:

-I have to wait till the RPM's drop under 1k before shifting into gear
- If I shift directly to OD it doesn't engage and just revs. If I go from P to any other gear besides OD it shifts no problem. I can still manually shift into OD when I reach highway speeds but need to shift down to D when my RPMs/speed drops too far in order to keep my transmission engaged. Now I did notice when my Radiator coolant resvior was low that after the truck warmed up it wouldn't engage the TC which in turn wouldn't let me manually shift into OD either.

Now my plan is to tear apart my spare A4LD and do little things to make it more reliable. Now my question is what are some "must have" upgrades for these transmissions? My Ford A4LD service manual will be in soon so I plan on tearing into it soon. My spare transmission is suppose to be good so I shouldn't have to worry about broken gears or major hard parts. But we all know how these "good spares" usually work lol so I want to go over it whole it's not attached to the truck.

Chato308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing? No one has recommendations for "must do upgrades for the A4LD?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Chato308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. I just got my Ford A4LD service manual and plan on starting the year down real soon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals