• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big Clunk

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
This one has me puzzled.

Friday night while driving I was going down a slight hill and while breaking took a hard left turn. I heard a clunk from the right hand side of the vehicle., seemed unusual but dismissed it as something on the road. Then less than 10 minutes later while breaking fairly hard and turning left another quite loud clunk from the right hand side. Okay there was definitely nothing on the road or pothole to have caused that.

Initial thought was radius arm bushing or maybe a ball joint.

I took a good look Sunday. Lifted it up, ball joints are tight, wheel bearing seems good, wheel not loose and I can't get any movement at the radius arm bushing and to my surprise they actually look in pretty good shape.

For the heck of it I checked the drivers side. I found some play in that wheel. The play turned out to be related to the bearing not being seated. The lock hardware was in there properly so it didn't move, just seemed like it never had been seated all the way.

I also found that the slide pins on the caliper had jammed up and that was causing serious pressure by one pad when brakes were released. Fixing that solved my braking pull mystery.

I do not think these issues on the driver side wheel were related to the clunk on the passenger side.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem while driving. The only thing that seems off to me is when I look at the drivers side the front wheel seems well centered in the wheel well. When I look at the passenger side the wheel seems to be back in the wheel well, maybe a half inch off of center such that the gap in the rear is an inch smaller than the gap towards the front. But far I know it could have been that way before.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am fairly confident in my checking the ball joints. Checking the radius arm bushings I am not so confident so if anyone has any tricks for that is appreciated.

As far as where the wheel sits, seems to me that is pretty much controlled by the radius arm. Or is there something else that could affect that?

Could the point where the radius arm connects to the frame have shifted back? Grasping at straws here. Nothing looks like it moved. Could there be something loose on the frame that could have shifted?

Oh ad just as an aside, what is the best stuff to put on the brake caliper slide pins. These were new pins from when I replaced the caliper. They had whatever the original goo was that seems have just turned into glue.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've had clunking on my front end and aside from having the wheel come off once due to a mashed bearing...the caliper pins where seized on both sides. Who knew part of regular maintenance is to grease the sliders every six months or more?

I found some brake grease in a parts store that was purple and worked great...I still have the tube but something corrosive got on it at some point and I could not see the brand name...but pretty much any brake grease will work there...as long as it can stand up to the temps it is fine.

The pins are relatively resilient and will be fine as long as the rubber doesn't melt or break free...give them a squeeze with some pliers just to check the play.

EDIT: Oh, and you're correct about the radius arms dictating the distance forward or back...you can measure them to see if there is a difference. If someone replaced them at some point then they may have used mismatched parts...I think the thickness of the rubber may affect the distance and may also be susceptible to too much torque...

I'd also suspect a slight difference might not be noticeable but tire wear might be an issue...they just don't track right.

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
in my experience, a clunk while turning and braking simultaneously is almost always because of a loose wheel bearing. checking for play in the radius arm bushing certainly wouldn't hurt, especially since that side is subject to exhaust heat. as far as the brake slides/pins, i use sil-glyde on any moving brake hardware.

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As far as where the wheel sits, seems to me that is pretty much controlled by the radius arm. Or is there something else that could affect that?
On mine, that was caused by a bad radius arm bushing.

One thing this BII has taught me is that bushings can look "ok" and still be bad.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
On mine, that was caused by a bad radius arm bushing.

One thing this BII has taught me is that bushings can look "ok" and still be bad.
I was wondering if it is possible to adjust the position by adjusting the nuts on the radius bushing. is there a nut on both sides or just the one? I guess I could just look.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just one. Pull the big nut and you'll be able to see if the bushings are bad.
They could be eaten up where you cant see it and it is banging the RA bracket.

uglyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
radius arm bushings

I have replaced many radius arm bushings. They can look good and still be bad. Take a pry bar and wedge it between the large rear washer and the frame, try to move it. Or have someone drive the truck forward and back and hit the brakes, if the arm moves more the 1/8th of and inch it is bad. But if its making a clunk it will move a lot. Also check the pivot arm bushings if you have independent suspension. Those will give you negative camber and noise.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My new to me 87 B2 , is doing somewhat the same thing , a clunk when braking , it is long overdue for some poly bushings with 180k miles on the factory bushings.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I will take another look...I would think that if they were bad I should have been able to cause them to move by levering on them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals