• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No 4 Low, think it's the speed sensor

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Like the title says, I have no 4 Low. 4 HI works great, but when I shift to neutral and press the brake and hit 4 Low all I get is a flashing 4 Low light. I think I've tracked it down to the speed sensor on the transfer case (output shaft speed sensor, not vss). After a lot of searching I found a part number: E6TZ7F293A. Problem is this stupid little sensor runs from $75-130 depending on where you look. Anybody have a parts 1350 they could pull this off and sell for less than the insane cost of a new one is?

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want cheap you can pull the module in the dash and find the wire that is the nss which senses that the vehicle is in neutral to switch to 4 lo and just ground it, just make sure you're in neutral when you do shift into 4 lo I did this on my 87

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
No, it's not the neutral sensor that's on the transmission. I know that's good. This is the speed sensor on the transfer case.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If I'm understanding you right mine did the same thing, the speed sensor controls the electric "motor" that spins up the clutches to give you shift on the fly, if I remember right its a brown wire that goes to the tcase, 4 lo won't shift on the fly it uses the speed sensor and a nss, not the one on the transmission, its one that's goes to the 4x4 module, if you want to try and test it to see there is a wire going onto the module that you can ground, its worth the try before you spend $70,

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll try to figure out what wire to ground to see if that will work, I cut my wiring harness out or I would just go and look

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
If I'm understanding you right mine did the same thing, the speed sensor controls the electric "motor" that spins up the clutches to give you shift on the fly, if I remember right its a brown wire that goes to the tcase, 4 lo won't shift on the fly it uses the speed sensor and a nss, not the one on the transmission, its one that's goes to the 4x4 module, if you want to try and test it to see there is a wire going onto the module that you can ground, its worth the try before you spend $70,
No, this is the sensor that has a light blue and light green wire going to it. I believe you are correct about the brown wire, however, 4 lo, you can't shift on the fly (on the 89's anyway, can't speak for other years). Have to be in neutral, stopped, with your foot on the brake.

jco77on

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'll try to figure out what wire to ground to see if that will work, I cut my wiring harness out or I would just go and look
Thanks, I appreciate the input!

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll find out tomorrow, its worth trying

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It should be the red/white wire on the 8 pin connector going to the module

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Unless its a manual trans then its a light blue/white

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals