• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 into 2000 ranger

beans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
this is my first post hear i have a 2000 ford ranger with 2.5 and an M5OD i want to do a 5.0 swap and every swap i see for a 98 and newer is with an explorer 5.0 the engine im about to get is out of a 94 branco i want to know if a ]nyone has done a swap on a ranger this new with a 5.0 from something other than an explorer. explorer mounts will fit right on a ranger of my year (so i have been told) my idea is just use explorer mounts and it should work unless the way they mount to the block is different or maybe there is another reason it will not work i know im going to need a different trans and change things from the radiator to the fuel pump and i need to find a fuel system that can work fuel injection may be hard to make work and id rather run carb if i can but then i would have to find a way to get an inspection sticker but i dont want to get half way threw and find out the engine will not work in my truck

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the Explorer engine mounts only work on trucks with torsion bar suspension like what the Explorers had, so all 4wd Rangers, and any Edge/trailhead model 2wd truck could use them. If you have coils springs up front though, I don't think the Expo mounts will work.

Also, it sounds like you have emissions test in your area. In most states, you cannot swap an older engine into your vehicle and still pass those tests, so you'd have to check what the laws are in your area about that.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Having a complete Explorer to pull from really helps solve a ton of issues:

The Expo and Ranger A/C systems marry together seamlessly.

The Expo front accessory drive fits with room for the Expo fan -- no so with the F150/Bronco.

A 2000/2001 Expo fuel injection system will pass inspection in states that check such things in a 2000 vehicle.

The Expo intake system fits under the hood of the Ranger, no so the F150/Bronco.

The Expo and Ranger power steering systems play nice with each other.

The Expo and Ranger fuel delivery systems play nice with each other.

Yea, with a coil spring 2000 Ranger, you'll need mounting plates for the engine to a set of Ranger 4.0 engine mounts but that'd be exactly the same as you'd need for any 302/5.0.

With care, the Expo 5.0 can go into a Ranger and look absolutely stock. The Expo radiator and fan shroud fit, the air filter system fits, shoot, the whole thing fits.

Lastly, the Expo 302/5.0's use just about the best pieces Ford had available, either the GT40 or GT40P heads, the GT40 intake -- you just don't get the forged internals of the "real" GT engine.

It's not that the Expo 5.0 is the only possible solution, but it probably is the best possible solution and as inexpensively as a crashed/wrecked 5.0 Expo can be bought, makes for a very attractive package to start with.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
99-01 explorer 5.0 (which use the same components for these years, including the ecu and emissions) is the donor you're looking for. Only the dealer can tell the difference of years, the epa & inspection guys can't. Tell them its from an 01, they couldn't tell the difference.
As stated, the bronco intake won't fit, carb is out as your speedo won't work, and you won't pass inspection. I don't remember which fuel system the Y2K uses, but I think its return style, which means changing to the returnless style fuel system. Pats is another issue, as all 98-01 explorers use them. Depending on how good your wiring skills are will determine how easy this swap will be...

SVT

beans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like endless problems that would make this take months if i need explorer parts to make it all fit i might just wait tell i can find a totaled explorer my state only has emissions in some countys so so i could get a sticker if i register it somewhere else in the state but thats just another obstacle to throw on the list of this engine so now my next question is does anyone know what standard transmission will work on an explorer 5.0

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
T5 for a 2wd, M5ODR2 or ZF for 4wd...

SVT

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I think the Explorer engine mounts only work on trucks with torsion bar suspension like what the Explorers had, so all 4wd Rangers, and any Edge/trailhead model 2wd truck could use them. If you have coils springs up front though, I don't think the Expo mounts will work.

Also, it sounds like you have emissions test in your area. In most states, you cannot swap an older engine into your vehicle and still pass those tests, so you'd have to check what the laws are in your area about that.
oil pan fitment is an issue, plate style mounts adapt across the generations.

sounds like endless problems that would make this take months if i need explorer parts to make it all fit i might just wait tell i can find a totaled explorer my state only has emissions in some countys so so i could get a sticker if i register it somewhere else in the state but thats just another obstacle to throw on the list of this engine so now my next question is does anyone know what standard transmission will work on an explorer 5.0
don't be discouraged so easily beans, finding an explorer dress or obd2 truck/van setup is not so hard to do. there were many explorers needlessly cash for clunkered by edict of thee king which had their engines locked up for no good reason...which makes haggling the rest pretty easy. I still see spray painted death engine equipped vehicles up here as the scrap prices been down more then not. I am far from home and out of the sbf business for the time being, so what I have I been sitting on. a little patience and smart shopping with a well researched list of parts will make the actual swap go very easy and quickly.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Having a complete Explorer to pull from really helps solve a ton of issues:

The Expo and Ranger A/C systems marry together seamlessly.

The Expo front accessory drive fits with room for the Expo fan -- no so with the F150/Bronco.

A 2000/2001 Expo fuel injection system will pass inspection in states that check such things in a 2000 vehicle.

The Expo intake system fits under the hood of the Ranger, no so the F150/Bronco.

The Expo and Ranger power steering systems play nice with each other.

The Expo and Ranger fuel delivery systems play nice with each other.

Yea, with a coil spring 2000 Ranger, you'll need mounting plates for the engine to a set of Ranger 4.0 engine mounts but that'd be exactly the same as you'd need for any 302/5.0.

With care, the Expo 5.0 can go into a Ranger and look absolutely stock. The Expo radiator and fan shroud fit, the air filter system fits, shoot, the whole thing fits.

Lastly, the Expo 302/5.0's use just about the best pieces Ford had available, either the GT40 or GT40P heads, the GT40 intake -- you just don't get the forged internals of the "real" GT engine.

It's not that the Expo 5.0 is the only possible solution, but it probably is the best possible solution and as inexpensively as a crashed/wrecked 5.0 Expo can be bought, makes for a very attractive package to start with.
Well said, I could not agree with you more. Before I got started I read a few threads on this site and found that the 98, 99, or 00 Ranger was the easiest swap there was when going with the 00 or 01 Explorer 5.0. That is the route I went with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals