• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery Keeps dying even after new alternator

Ranger_Boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Battery died on me couple weeks ago, tested the alternator and it was going out. i replaced the alternator and bought a brand new battery, tried to start my pick up yesterday and it struggled, i barely got it started.

anybody got an idea whats going on? maybe a short somewhere? any other things you think i should replace?

Ranger_Boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks ill check it out :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check battery voltage before starting engine, after it has been sitting over night or at least 5 hours, this is called "at rest" battery voltage
12.8v is a newer battery
12.5v is a 3/4 year old battery
12.3v is a 5/6 year old battery and time to shop for battery sale

12.2v or lower is dying battery

Car batteries work by discharging and recharging via a chemical reaction between plates inside, over use and time the chemicals and plates wear out
And plates can short out, causing battery to be self draining

If you hook up volt meter to battery and it shows, say 12.57v, leave it connected and watch voltage, if it goes to 12.56v then it might be self draining
Unhook battery from vehicle and test again, watching battery voltage over a few minutes, if it is stable, 0 change, then vehicle is draining battery even with key off.
If voltage still drops then battery has internal short, replace battery

An alternator is preset to maintain 13.5v to 14.9v
After startup voltage at the battery should be above 14volts but below 15volts, this is "recharge voltage" it should only last for a few minutes or battery will get "cooked"
After a few minutes voltage should drop to under 14volts but stay above 13.4volts, this is vehicles "running voltage" and acts as a "trickle charge" for battery, keeps it charged, but won't "cook it".

Last edited:

Ranger_Boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks ill check that out, im curious if my starter is going out? i barrowed a tester for a friend imma do it when i get home.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals