• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I disable self cancel on turn signals?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone, the self canceling turn signals function is annoying for me, I want the turn signals to stay on even if I turn the wheel the opposite way, I have to do this a lot on runabouts, or to avoid bumps, and other occasions; being mostly a motorcycle road user I got used to turn the signals off manually, and I like it that way; is there a way to disable the self canceling function on a 1995 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L?

:icon_thumby:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Holding it in the turn position while turning the wheel to disable it a few time would probably take care of that. :icon_twisted: I don't know what other kind of damage would happen though.

Have you taken the multifunction switch off to see if there is a little lever kind of thing that is actuated to disable the turn signal? I think cutting that off would give you what you want.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I haven't messed with that. But I would expect that anything you cut off or break off in the multifunction switch will probably make it so the signals won't stay ON unless you hold the switch.

Substituting a double throw toggle switch would do what you want. However, I can't think where to mount it so it would be easy to use.

Eric B

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can pull off the turn signal lever, multi-function switch, and remove, break off the bar that sticks out when you activate turn signal in either direction, you will see it.

When turn signal is activated the bar sticks out and it can move but only in one direction
The steering wheel has pegs all the way around it.
When turning the wheel in same direction as turn signal selected you can hear the pegs click over the bar but bar just moves and springs back, when steering wheel moves the other direction the next peg pushes on bar and that pulls turn signal lever back to neutral position and bar is down out of the way.

Very simple setup and has been used for 60 years

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals