• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l Blue Smoke on cold start up

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I got this strange issue my driveway is up hill on cold start up I get a blue cloud of smoke. Its just a few seconds than clears up once warmed up nothing even if sitting a few hours on the driveway. If I park level on cold start up nothing clean no blue smoke. I checked the PVC and cleaned it still doing it if parked uphill. Maybe block the PVC line and leave the valve cover vented? any ideas on this issue?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Valve seals, get some Lucas oil stabilizer and see if that fixes it, if you don’t want to throw much time or money at it.

If you want to I’d definitely lean towards valve seals or guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

Valve seals on #3 and #6 cylinders to be more specific

The valve seals are located inside the valve springs, they rub off the oil from the valve stems as they are pushed down to open the valve inside the cylinders, so oil doesn't run down the stem.
The valve cover area has drain holes back to the oil pan, but some oil does collect in low spots in the head after engine is off.
When you park at an angle then oil will pool at the lower point, if parked facing up hill that will be at the back of the heads/valve covers, where #3 and #6 cylinders and valves are located.

So if valve seals are leaking then some of that oil will seep down the valve stems and sit in the cylinders until restart, and it will produce that Blue Smoke on start up

I would check spark plugs in #3 and #6 to make sure they are not getting oil fouled

Last edited:

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
+1 ^^^^

Valve seals on #3 and #6 cylinders to be more specific

The valve seals are located inside the valve springs, they rub off the oil from the valve stems as they are pushed down to open the valve inside the cylinders, so oil doesn't run down the stem.
The valve cover area has drain holes back to the oil pan, but some oil does collect in low spots in the head after engine is off.
When you park at an angle then oil will pool at the lower point, if parked facing up hill that will be at the back of the heads/valve covers, where #3 and #6 cylinders and valves are located.

So if valve seals are leaking then some of that oil will seep down the valve stems and sit in the cylinders until restart, and it will produce that Blue Smoke on start up

I would check spark plugs in #3 and #6 to make sure they are not getting oil fouled
Thank you RonD and cp2295

I will pull the plugs and check them I better start parking on a flat area. I don't want to mess up my new Magna Flow cats. I do hear another lifter ticking on start up. Have Lucas in it already

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals