• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NAIAS Debut Tomorrow?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks really sharp, can’t wait to see what they are doing. They have kept it under pretty tight wraps so far.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
ranger??? no way. why would they make a ranger:icon_confused:

chevy popped the inline 3.0 liter 1/2 ton diesel out today....and the lil diesel f 150 setup is pretty close.

gonna be an interesting few years....they made sure the floor of the bed was steel on the chebby too though:D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
well....they been running around here in camo for two years. along with the suv.

most of my family is in r&d lab rat stuff....

so i may have possibly been being slightly facetious... a little...or something...maybe.

:D

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like the only engine/trans they have announced is the 2.3L I-4 EcoBoost with a 10-speed auto. I will wait judgement until I see some road test results and comparisons with V6 competitors. All I can say is I am not surprised but this is not what I was hoping for. On the bright side the EcoBoost engines have been pretty easy to tune for big power increases. I guess we'll see...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

TiredRetired

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Never Let the Bastards wear you down.
Saw the debut on Fox News at the Detroit Auto Show. Looks the same to me as the T6 which is not a bad looking truck, just nothing special.

I shall keep my 05 for a few more years at least then start looking at used 19's.

Currently I am happy with my classic Ranger, as we shall soon be calling them.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1st impressions:

I'm surprised with only 1 power choice, but I hit Ford's demographic audience - drive truck to work, not for work; then use it on weekend for hauling/towing - again focused on play over work. For me, the 2.3 Ecoboost was always going to be my #1 choice (I had given up hope of a manual)

Couple things of note:

Steering wheel is an international version: Audio controls are on the left; cruise is on the right - the reverse of where it is on all my other North American Fords; they have also went back to the small buttons on steering wheel like on my wife's '10 Escape. (It's an issue for those of us who can palm a volleyball).

Parking brake beside driver's seat was one of the things I thought they would change from the Global version. 100W AC converter? And I thought the 400W in the F150 was too low.

Don't like the sensors on the front bumper (not well placed for the 'wheeling I do).

You can see rear discs.

Integrated bumper/tow hitch is...interesting.

Internal household discussion has now commenced - 4x2 scab versus 4x4 screw. Lightning blue colour has already been decided. Ability to get all the "features" is probably going to make decision - as back seat of scab probably wouldn't be that comfortable, Lariat screw is probably on leading.

I think Motor Trend has released the most pictures so far: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/ranger/2019/2019-ford-ranger-first-look-review/

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Re: steering wheel controls, I think they've made a decision to standardize them. The 2018 Mustang made a similar switch to the radio controls on the left.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure what to think about the 2.3L EcoBoost.
While Ford has updated all of the gas engines in the 2018 F-150 to a new FI system which combines port injection with direct combustion chamber injection, their Ranger website only states direct injection for the 2.3. That could be a durability issue with potential carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves. Without port injection there is no raw fuel on that side of the valve to act as a cleaning agent.
I suppose a crankcase oil separator could solve some of that problem since most of the carbon buildup supposedly comes from crankcase blowby being recirculated through the intake manifold.
There have also been issues with head gasket failures on the 2.3 but as far as I know that was only on the Focus RS version of the engine. That was supposedly caused by using the head gasket for the Mustang 2.3 on the Focus engine. While the two engines are very similar they do use a different coolant passage design between adjacent cylinders which requires different head gaskets.
Another theory on the head gasket failures is that because the 2.3 uses an open deck design for the cylinder block there could be some movement of the cylinder walls during high boost conditions. "Open deck" refers to the fact that the water jacket around the cylinders is open at the top where it meets the cylinder head.
The fact that most head gasket failures have been on the Focus RS engine and both engines use the same "open deck" design makes me think using the wrong head gasket was the real culprit.

Attachments

TiredRetired

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Never Let the Bastards wear you down.
Motor Trend says that Ford now sees the potential Ranger buyer as different from the F150 buyer. Hasn't that always been the case? Did that just dawn on Ford? What the hell are they talking about?

I hope those are LED projectors and I hope there are rear discs. The Tacoma still does not have those and IMHO is a rear deal breaker for me. I can understand my 05 not having them but in this day and age it is a must for me.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Here's a few from the show.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals