• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To Rebuild or not to Rebuild

modz92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 91 Ranger that has been sitting for about 2 years. I quit driving it bc I think I cracked the head. It has a 2.9 in it and it got hot and I couldn't keep anti-freeze in it. I parked it and i haven't drove it since. I miss it and I would like to drive it again but I don't know where to start. Is it safe to assume that i need a new engine? The Pennsylvania salt roads have done a number on it too. It has sentimental value and it's just plain fun. Should I crap it or fix it? If i fix it where do I start?!? Please help.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Sentimental value? Fix the vehicle!

Charge/replace the battery......

Drain the old gas out of the tank....add a few gallons of new gas and some injector cleaner....

purge the fuel system thru the relief valve on the fuel rail using proper equipment.....

Drain the engine oil & check for coolant in the oil--if there is no coolant in the oil, fill the engine with new oil/change the oil filter (2 yr. old oil is bad)

Replace the engine thermostat.......

Add WATER to the radiator/overflow tank (no sense in wasting coolant while trying to solve the problem)....

Start the vehicle & look for water leaks--KEEP CLOSE WATCH ON THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE!

Let us know in this thread what you find wrong.

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remove the 2.9, install 302, now your having fun!

I had a lot of fun with my 302 powered Ranger 4x4 :headbang:

modz92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is some nasty white snot on the dip stick. What does that mean?

modz92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It crossed my mind to put a 4.0 in it but I am not experienced enough to feel confident about it.

jhammel85

Since it's a second gen ranger, you should go the 4.0 route. Pretty much plug and play...Check the library.

As far as the snot goes, that most likely from the Antifreeze mixing in the oil (not condensation).

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
If you went to get the engine rebuilt it will run you about 2 grand or more. They usually charge about $1,000 for labor, and the rest is parts.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Cheaper to do a junkyard 4.0 swap. Very straight forward as you can see in the tech section. However if you go that route make sure you check the push rods and rockers before you go to all the trouble of installing it since you will want to replace the valve cover gaskets and probably the lower intake gasket while you are at it.

You will probably need to swap the trans also... Is it standard or auto?

Engine swap should take from 2 to 7 days depending on your ability, your shop and tool collection, and if you have a knowledgeable friend to give you a hand. The biggest hassle will be the studs on the exhaust manifolds.... Acetylene torch time.

Have plenty of :beer: on hand and another operating vehicle so you can get to the carryout when you run out. Cigars for the start up celebration are optional but recommended.

Probably the most important item I left out is having an internet connection close by so you can hit TRS so we can help or poke fun at you when needed. :icon_hornsup:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Panama said: "Probably the most important item I left out is having an internet connection close by so you can hit TRS so we can help or poke fun at you when needed."

:icon_hornsup:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you can swap a motor, you can swap in a 4.0. Find a 91 4.0 and it will be plug and play.

modz92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It is an automatic so I am pretty sure I will need to swap the trans too. I was leaning toward getting used 2.9 to put in it and then seeing what kind of power I could get out of it. I saw a section on that in the tech lib.

Say I change all the fluids, start it up, and I find that the head is cracked. Where do I go from there? Is there any possibility that I will NOT need a new engine?

My ignorance is showing:sorrysign:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Why go through all the trouble replacing an engine that just needs a new head that you could find at a junk yard as well? Why does everyone on here try to push engine swaps on everyone? The best thing to do is remove the old head, find a replacement (x2) and replace them along with the gaskets yourself, then clean everything up and drive it till it falls apart, that's what I'm doing with my bronco 2 as its by far past putting money into doing a bunch of body work to get rid of the rust issues. I just work on the engine/drive train and ignore the body because that's like $2,000+ to repair the body mess.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I was kinda in your boat not to long ago. My b2 has been in my family since it was new. Was my first vehicle in high school. When I left home my parents put it in the garage and it sat there. 5 yrs later they wanted to sell it and told them nooooo! Shipped it to where I lived and started fixing everything. Engine turned out fine, just needed basic maintenance items. Rear axle was shot. Tranny was ok. I decided if I were to fix anything it would be with something to make it better. Rear axle swapped to 8.8. Fixed little things as they came up. Drove it till tranny completely died and then decided to do the 4.0 swap. This is the first vehicle that I've ever worked on so learning as I go. To do 4.0 swap, wiring was kind of a pain and I still have some bugs, but it works way better than my 2.9. Even with high gearing and bigger tires. Mechanically the swap was a pinch. Followed the chiltons book step by step. All that said. I would pick up some heads from a junkyard, do your basic maintenance and see if it solves your problem. Then fix things as they start to go. What you decide to fix them with will depend on your ultimate goal for the vehicle. I have loads of sentimental value in this vehicle so no hardcore wheeling for me. Still doesn't stop me from trying lol! Don't be scared of the 4.0 swap. Find a good donor vehicle and keep trs and some brews handy and you'll be fine. Just dont dive into swap cause everyone says too. Try cheap fixes first. If it turns out you'd spend close to the same amount a swap will, then a swap justifies itself if that's what you really want. Just my 2 cents

modz92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you guys for the input. Ill let you know how it goes.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Why go through all the trouble replacing an engine that just needs a new head that you could find at a junk yard as well? Why does everyone on here try to push engine swaps on everyone?
Well.... You can spend a ton of money on an old engine that never had enough power, got horrible mileage because of it, and has obviously been over heated.

With a 4.0 swap you improve vehicle power to weight ratio. Therefore in most cases you increase fuel mileage providing that you keep in mind now that it is more fun to drive you keep your foot out of it. You also come down to the other age old adage: There is no replacement for displacement. 2.9 vs 4.0..... 4.0 wins every time.

So it just goes to show that you can polish a turd but you will still be the proud owner of a turd. Or you can make it into a sapphire and really enjoy it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals