• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 ranger 3.0 tranny swap question?

Beljum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good day to all. I have a 1991 ford ranger 3.0 & the A4LD trans is starting to give me problems. But i have a 1990 ford ranger 4.0 with a trans in better condition than my 3.0 transmission.

So my question is simply, would I be able to swap the 4.0 trans into my 3.0 ranger without any problematic side affects? are they even compatible? i know the 3.0 has the a4ld trans, does the 4.0 also have a a4ld or is it a different trans? Their both automatic's (obviously) but will i be able to just pull the trans out of each & bolt them back on to one another? I appreciate any & all the advice & information anyonr can provide.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they are both A4LD transmissions
No, the Bell housings are different to match different engine bolt patterns and starter motor placement, so they can't be swapped directly.

Bell housings can be swapped, but on automatics the rear of the bell housing is also the front case for the Main pump inside the transmission, so not a simple swap, you can do it, just read up on it first, any automatic bell housing replacement videos would have that info, they are pretty much all the same in this respect.

And, not that you asked but.... 2wd or 4x4 automatic transmissions can't be swapped, total rebuild required for that, replace main shaft

Beljum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
awesome thanks for the info, ya i got to looking at the bolt pattern on the 4.0 & noticed riggt away they were different than the 3.0 so i knew right there it wouldnt just bolt on like i hoped. but I found out its just my torque converter going out on my 3.0 so my next question is -
Will the torque convertor outta the 4.0 go onto the trans of my 3.0 with no modifactions or anything of that sort?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals