• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No low end power ??

Tvp125

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all I am a long time reader but this is my first time posting. I have an 89 Ranger XLT 2.9 5 speed which starts up fine idles fine but the truck has no low end power. I literally have to be 75% throttle when I leave a stop light just to keep up with traffic. Once I get over 4000K RPMs the truck starts to pick up nicely and when driving on the highway the truck has no problem getting up to 85 MPH and it can maintain that speed effortlessly. The Ranger does have a very notable ticking sound but only when you give it any amount of gas. I just changed the plugs as well as new 10w 30 synthetic oil. My last oil change I ran motor medic motor flush in it for 5 minutes as well as put a bottle of engine restore in with the new oil, I ran an entire bottle of sea foam in the gas tank with premium fuel hoping to clean the injectors as that's where I believe the tick is coming from. Last but not least I checked the throttle cable for play and everything is tight and working as designed, My last fill up the truck only averaged 13 MPG so my main question is would bad or clogged injectors cause all of this ?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I have to ask. What size tires and do you know what the R&P ratio is?

Tvp125

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have to ask. What size tires and do you know what the R&P ratio is?
I have the OEM rims on the truck still running 195 70 14. As for the ratio I'm not sure. It's stock 2WD 5 Speed

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Certainly not that problem then.

13 mpg is concerning stock. I'd wouldn't be surprised if you could pull the spark plugs to find them black.

IDK why i didn't ask before, but do you have any codes?
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

Your truck could be 2 or 3 digit. Maybe someone else can tell you that..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Clogged injectors would tend to give you better MPG, unless there were noticeable misfires, which you didn't mention.

I would check the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it is on the fuel rail on the engine.
It will have the Return fuel line and a Vacuum hose attached to it.
Remove the vacuum hose and check it for fuel.
If FPR's rubber diaphragm leaks, fuel is sucked into intake manifold via vacuum hose, lowering MPG and causing lower RPM issues, at higher RPMs more gas is good :)

1989 Ranger 2.9l shouldn't have an EGR valve, that would be next thing to check if it did.
Only California Rangers did i believe.

Next would be spark timing, get a timing light, yes, old school, but still handy.
Remove SPOUT connector and make sure distributor timing is at 10-12 before TDC.
Then reconnect SPOUT and see where timing jumps to, and then REV engine a few times to make sure timing is advancing and then returning

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals