• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC Check Engine Light Code

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I just got my ranger a few weeks ago. Put some money into it and got it to pass inspection. The check engine light was intermittent. I hooked the jumper up to the test plug and tried my best to read the flashes.

KOEO Codes: 6 single flashes / 32 and 41
C Codes: 31 and 41
R Codes: 2 flashes (for cylinders)
1 Flash
2 Quick Flashes
41 and 77

After this test I tried again and turned the steering wheel and bumped the throttle after 77 appeared. Codes 52 and 77 dissapered. I must have done something right with the Power steering check and throttle bump. I believe the main codes are 42 and 31. So that would mean the issues are with the EGR valve and system is running lean.

I would like some help figuring out if I have done this check correctly or not. And if I have done it correctly, has anyone had these codes before and can you direct me in the area to look first? Also today was the frist day driving the truck to work after checking the CEL. The CEL was off when the truck was cold, after it warmed up the CEL came on and stayed on the whole way to work. Thanks.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are there any symptoms?
Is engine running rough at times or is there a lack of power?
Do you hear "pinging" when engine is under load(accelerating)

EGR system isn't used until engine warms up, which is why the CEL didn't come on right away, assuming the codes are for EGR issues.

Lean code means there is too much oxygen in the exhaust, an O2 sensor can only see Oxygen levels not fuel levels, too much oxygen is Lean, too little is Rich.

If the EGR Valve was leaking or opening too much that can cause an incomplete burning of fuel in a cylinder which means more oxygen would be left unburned and O2 would sees that as Lean.

So the 2 codes can be related, I would look at the EGR system, if possible remove the EGR valve and clean it, apply a vacuum to it(suck on it :)) and make sure it opens and closes all the way.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Not sure if their are any symptoms. The truck is too new to me to tell. It does seem to have little to no power, but it may just be the way the 4 cyl runs. The idle has been a little rough at times. Thanks for the response RonD.

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Get OBDII scanner

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Truck is still acting weird. I unplugged the EGR valve and sucked on it. Felt as if there was a valve I should feel while sucking/blowing.. I didn't feel it. Felt as if there was a void, air wouldn't pass by or through the valve. I have the hard color coded vacuum lines. Maybe there is a crack in one or more of these lines. Also the truck has been idling rough, almost sounds like it's missing. When I drove it today the RPMs would take along time to come down after returning to neutral and the idle was around 1,200. When I shut it off and started it back up again, truck ran fine. Also while driving the truck it seems to find some kind of hidden power or what seems to be a small powerband. I notice it the most in 4th and 5th gear. It's as if I mashed all the way in the pedal but I'm only 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Have you checked for fuel quality? I have an intermittent situation where the engine seems to lack power, and when you shift, and let up on the gas pedal, the rpms drop like a rock.
It seems as if there is water in the fuel, causing misfire that comes and goes.
You can use a fuel pressure gauge equipped with a relief valve to get a sample of the fuel coming from the tank. Energize the fuel pump{ use the OBD-I connector jumper and the pump comes on full time} and catch some fuel in a clear glass container. Let it settle for a minute and inspect for 'bubbles' of water rolling around at the bottom of the container. They will be globs that will not mix with the fuel if there is water contamination. The most obvious symptoms are the seeming slow acceleration and the rpm drop when I go to shift, making smooth shifts difficult.
tom

added
As far as the EGR valve, it is not supposed to open at idle. Those I am familiar with have a vacuum diaphragm inside a metal 'pan', with a vacuum line attached to one side. If you disconnect and plug the vacuum line, and your idle improves, you likely have a leaky or sticking EGR valve. It is also possible for the diaphragm to get leaky, and cause extra air to be fed to the intake. If the idle improves by just removing and plugging the vacuum line, the diaphragm may be leaky.

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I have not checked the fuel yet tomw. I replaced the O2 sensor a couple days ago. I'm driving the truck today. It seems to be running way better than it has in the past. No engine light yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals