• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger 4x4 axle, suspension upgrade ???'s

Wingnut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I hope this is the correct category for this post. If not, my apologies. I have a 2001 4x4 with 4.10 gears. I'm installing a fiberglass kit to widen the front and rear fenders by 4". It also has larger wheel openings that will allow me to install 35" tires with stock suspension. I'm also installing a heavy duty winch bumper on the front. I have a truck camper that weighs approximately 1200 lbs that I use occasionally. The truck will be used mainly on road with occassional off-roading.

I'm 'planning' to swap the rear axle with one from an Explorer, changing the gears to 4.56, installing new wheels and tires,and replacing the rear springs with heavier duty ones.

Here's my questions:

Is there a better rear axle (width and strength) that I could swap with minimal fabrication?

I want to keep the same style setup in the front (torsion bar) but would like to make it more capable of handling the load requirement both on the axle and suspension. Is there a way to do this without doing major modifications and fabrication. I'm not too familiar with the front drivetrain limitations and want to upgrade it.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
A better leaf pack and rear shocks should do the trick.

Ehranger07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
SAS baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1200lb camper, 35s, winch? I think you are looking F-150, not Ranger.

Ranger payload is 1,260lbs max - with difference between stock wheels and 35s, and the camper, you are over weight and that didn't include significant other, winch, etc.

Explorer axle, heavier springs, etc do nothing to increase GVWR.

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The explorer Ford 8.8 swap seems to be by far the best bang for the buck. It is the only axle you will find that has parts that will directly fit your Ranger (really only driveshaft yoke, brake lines, and e brake cables). Of course there are other options but the Explorer axle seems to be the best.

As far as your question goes about the front suspension.. no there are no significant increases to be made without major modification and fabrication

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals