• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roof Noise? Flexing? Buckling? 1985 BII.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
You guys nailed it.

What I came across as well was to use closed cell foam and to beware not to use anything that will expand more than you need it to as the expansion can and will warp sheet metal.

I was mostly looking through car audio forums, some of those guys have learned through experience.

I'm going to stay away from it for roof/headliner use.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is a low expansion foam as well. I use it on windows and doors so it doesn't bow the vinyl.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
There is a low expansion foam as well. I use it on windows and doors so it doesn't bow the vinyl.
Alrighty. Closed Cell, low expansion foam may be used to fill compartments or voids in an automobile.

I can't wait to take the headliner down to see what I'm in for as far as the origin on the noise but its turning into one of those things where I need to properly plan what I'm going to do so I only take it down once.

The tech article is a good guide to go by but there are a lot of interior pieces that have to come off first and that includes a ton of little screws.
The other little project I had in mind includes using the nifty trick posted in the tech section using foam as a mold for fiberglass modeling.

After starting the audio wiring this past weekend, I realized an SUV type vehicle really has nowhere to hide stuff. So I'm thinking the inside roof/ceiling seems like a good place for an overhead speaker/amp console thing.

Add that to the buckling noise, glue/reinforcement, headliner replacement, wiring...
One for all and all at once kind of plan. Lol

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't think I would use foam in a door or other spot where water can get in, unless I could make sure that water wouldn't be trapped. For the roof ribs yes.

sent while sitting on the throne

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think I would use foam in a door or other spot where water can get in, unless I could make sure that water wouldn't be trapped. For the roof ribs yes.

sent while sitting on the throne
yea, good point. A water barrier works two ways, keeping water in and keeping it out. Although you can sand it and paint it to lessen the risk.

Luc_fraga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I don't remember exactly what glue I used, it was a long time ago. I think it was construction adhesive, available at any hardware, or home improvement store. I only had to do it once and I had the b2 for a long time.
in my b2 there is a separation between the supports and roof. So wide I can fit my fingers through gap. How did you glue that?

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
They make an expanding foam glue used to attach body panels to the support structure. It won't warp the exterior panel (roof skin). I used it whenever I would skin a door after an accident when I worked in a body shop. You should be able to get it from an auto body supply store. Its easy to use, its applied with a special caulking gun. Welcome to the club.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Next on the list is this roof buckling sound.

I'm about 20 minutes away from disassembling the interior to replace the headliner and audio and want to get some insight on what to look for with regard to my roof noise.

I'm not sure exactly when it happens, small bumps in the road I guess, but the roof makes a buckling sound.

Is there a structure I should look for that's possibly missing?
Most likely warped roof metal?
Is this a common noise?

1985 Bronco II with a 4" body lift.

I look forward to any insight you guys can provide.

Thanks, its hard to use the search function for something like this but feel free to link me to any relevant threads.
The body mounts go, the body flexes, the roof support welds go. It can happen when flexing off road too. It was a common problem even when they were new. Ford had an issue with the body of the Aerostar side support members doing the same thing, pulling away from the sheet metal.

After fixing the body mounts you can tack weld them again. If you do not care how it looks, use marine rivets and rivet them in place. If you hear a lot of popping from the roof, even when done, try bracing it and adding some jute padding or spray foam. My 1985 makes no noise and it is beat, I had late model 1980s in far better shape and they made noise. Luck of the draw.

Look for rips in the front floors and the seam across the back under the rear seats. Sometimes your corners are rotted out near the rear body mounts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals