• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83-85 Center Console

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have seen one of those before, in a truck that was just in terrible shape. I couldn't get in it because of where it was, and how blocked off it was, but I do know something about the displays.

The display has a low fuel light, lamp out warning, and low washer fluid warning. I looked into installing that in my BII a few years ago, got a console, the jumper harness, and then found out you pretty much have to have the correct dash harness to make it work correctly.

For the lamp out warning instead of just making that leg of the circuit be higher resistance than the bulb the put a low-ohm resistor in the line and hooked two wires to the display's computer that monitors voltage drop across the resistor. The wiring diagrams for the system show the resistance of that section needs to be correct within .0012 ohms, so really tight tolerance. There are also notes on the pages saying to not attempt wiring repair, but to replace the whole harness if there are wiring issues, so I would think this is not the kind of thing most of us could build in the garage.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Makes sense, I have seen that in BII's (seems a lot of them got it)

Sounds like a good place to put something else, I don't think I really need much of that stuff anyway. I had hopes it was something cool like a compass or something.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I have one. I'll take a pic the next time I think about it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I just put a console into my 88 Bronco 2 out of an explorer. No need for those nonsense idiot lights in the console and wasn't about to figure out how to hookup all that crap LOL. I more or less did it for the arm rest and the cup holders anyway.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just put a console into my 88 Bronco 2 out of an explorer. No need for those nonsense idiot lights in the console and wasn't about to figure out how to hookup all that crap LOL. I more or less did it for the arm rest and the cup holders anyway.
Pretty much. I got the console cheap and thought I'd be able to wire it up myself. No such luck. If I keep the BII I am going to be looking for an Explorer console, but I am looking for a FSB right now.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Pretty much. I got the console cheap and thought I'd be able to wire it up myself. No such luck. If I keep the BII I am going to be looking for an Explorer console, but I am looking for a FSB right now.
I found a console like this one in a 94 explorer that was pretty clean and put it in my bronco 2. Works just fine for me and looks like it was supposed to be there in the first place. Only wish I would have pulled the front seats out of it as now I have an extra set of working tracks I could swap over.

The explorer I pulled my console out of just so happened to have the same tan interior as my bronco 2. The one in the picture is one I found on the internet that someone was asking $225 for...yeah umm no thanks...got mine at pick a part for $5 plus all the mounting brackets.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Wasn't happy with how it fit, currently I have a bench seat back in it. The display could probably be swapped for a switch panel or something similar.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is the console I have in my Ranger right now, except its red. My only issue with it is that I use a lot of tall cups when I drive, and anything taller than a soda can gets in the way in 4th gear. That looks like it is much farther forward in your truck than it is in mine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is the console I have in my Ranger right now, except its red. My only issue with it is that I use a lot of tall cups when I drive, and anything taller than a soda can gets in the way in 4th gear. That looks like it is much farther forward in your truck than it is in mine.
As far back as it will go... standard cab. It sat higher than it did in an Explorer too.

With the two cup cupholder I couldn't get it into second. With the single (as pictured) I still couldn't get to first.

With either cupholder the shifter in drive the shifter would rest against a large cup in drive... which was kind of nice in a way.

Either way I foresaw major issues with it if I ever happened to sneak up on a 5 speed...

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Mine works great in the bronco 2, but I could see a major issue in a regular cab ranger...shown in picture LOL.

The ranger ones don't sit as high, at least in the 93 my grandfather had it didn't sit quite as high.

Justion337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I found a console like this one in a 94 explorer that was pretty clean and put it in my bronco 2. Works just fine for me and looks like it was supposed to be there in the first place. Only wish I would have pulled the front seats out of it as now I have an extra set of working tracks I could swap over.

The explorer I pulled my console out of just so happened to have the same tan interior as my bronco 2. The one in the picture is one I found on the internet that someone was asking $225 for...yeah umm no thanks...got mine at pick a part for $5 plus all the mounting brackets.
Manual trans? I'm going to be looking for a set of these VW Mk2 GTI Recaro seats(soooo comfy and supportive) for my Ranger and that looks like it would be perfect if it doesn't interfere with the shifter.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
No my 88 Bronco 2 is an automatic and with the console in position I can still drop into 1st gear. What I did when I installed mine is dropped the transmission to 1st gear, then set the console in place to allow room for the shifter in 1st gear...not that manually shifting to 1st gear is needed often, I wanted to make sure I could if needed. Then once I got the console positioned where I wanted it I marked the locations for the screws to fasten the mounts down then installed the console.

However, with a regular cab truck that may be a bit tricky due to the size of the consoles from an Explorer for example where there is a rear seating area so a bit more room for the console to stick out the back, where with a regular cab truck there isn't any of that extra space.

Those seats look nice but wouldn't work in my Bronco 2 due to the seatbelt setup.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals