• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need V-8 Swap Articles

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hey guys,

We need some V-8 swap articles for our tech library.

We need a write-up from someone who has done a swap on a 98+ and newer Ranger. We need both a 4.6 and 5.0 article with emphasis on wiring and any required conversion parts to help give our readers some guidance.

Thanks.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jim,
There is a very good write up in the tech library on using the Explorer 5.0 motor in the later Rangers. It needs a little tweaking to explain maybe why that's the motor to use. Main problem I have seen is that the newcomers are not used to using the tech sections, usually it's all there. Maybe at the top of the V-8 section, in bold letters, CHECK HERE FIRST IF YOU HAVE A '98' AND NEWER RANGER and have that link there. GregR is the only one I know of that has done the 4.6 swap into a later Ranger.
Dave

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Well, I put that article together, but we can always use more info. We don't have any 4.6 articles.

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am interested in seeing more info on doing the 93-97 Ranger..Explorer 5.0 swap. Especially on wiring the factory explorer harness with the Ranger and why its supposed to be a nightmare.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Gents, I have scoward the net for OBDII V-8 swaps in the ranger, as I have an 02 and would love more power, and every thing seems to stop as soon as the Explore went 4.6. I have heard there are other streetable issues with the 4.6, as in Ford did not make a compact truck with one so it will not pass emissions due to the fact that the engine is not a OEM option in this class of vehicle, and you have to have model year or newer more, never mind PATS issues, ECM and cluster problems.

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ill probably have a fully detailed 5.0L swap forum posted probably in the next few months.

Im swapping a 99 explorer 5.0L 2wd auto in to my 00 ranger 3.0L 4wd auto.. I will be keeping my ranger transfer case so i dont have to build new driveshafts. There is also an adapter kit that will transform my 4R70W 2wd tranny into a 4wd that my ranger transfer case can bolt up to. No other modifications will be needed to my knowledge except having my exhaust redone and the PATS system reprogramed through the FORD dealership. Ill probably go ahead and buy the torque monster headers for better mpg's and a little more horses :) Other than that the motor will be pretty much stock. Ill be using the Explorer motor mounts since they will all fit in the ranger. The radiator part will probably give me the biggest issue as to I really dont know what kind i want yet. I heard the 4.0 ones are good BUT require modification.. 5.0L one works and i do believe thats a direct bolt in. dont quote me on that. Im retaining all emissions and AC because this will be my daily driver. Ive been doing a ton of research on this topic and pretty much i think i have it all down. Now im waiting on the guy to pull the motor and all the parts i need to make this swap work and ill be set.

Ill have plenty of pictures of the process.

The 99 explorer(8 cyl) and 00 ranger(6cyl) have a lot of similarities when it comes to electronics. Both vehicles use type B in the PATS system, also they both use a returnless fuel system, and both read vehicle speed through the VSS/ABS from the rear axle. So this swap should be fairly PLUG AND PLAY. I think i read somewhere ill need to adjust my wiring for the AC but ill figure that out once i get the motor running. Also have to swap a wire for the tach and pretty much should be the only thing ill have to mess with electrical wise. WHEW thank goodness lol

PS: Jim i bought that Advance Adapters 9 inch AOD to 1350 kit from this site to start things off :) Cant wait to get it and take lots of pics of it lol

Last edited:

4.6stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any updates on the OBD II 4.6 swap? I swaped a 1996 OBD II mustang 4.6 and t-45 into a 1994 2wd Ranger I might be able to find some pictures and do a little write up if anyone is interested.

onehotpocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually inthe process of doing this right now. I have a 2000 ranger that had a 2.5 in it and a 351w out of a van that's going into it. I'll be sure to take pictures And let you guys know what sort of difficulties I run into. I know this isn't the exact explored swap you're thinking of, but ithink it'll be interesting none the less. I've yet to see some documentation of a 351w in a 98+ ranger.

thanks, Dave

Spowerback

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
v6 4.0L /
Transmission
Automatic
302 cid or 351w 460 or later choice 342ci minus or v6 3.0L-4.0L bbk supercharged 8psi

Last edited:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
I picked up a 99 last week, that is gonna be the new foundation for my RAT Ranger build,:icon_welder: and I will take pics as usual.

DRAGONDOG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 97 f150 single cab long bed v6........this guy is gettin rid of his old beat up f150 with a 1990 305 in it (5.0 V8) i dnt know whatt yr his truck is if its a 90 or older.....my v6 blew a head gaskit so i already pulled it to do a overhaul on it.....will this 305 fit in my truck

Last edited:

White94Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that engine would be a 302 and yes it would fit just grab the engine mounts with that truck in weld or bolt it to you truck

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm not sure what wiring issues you guys are talking about,but when i first went mid engine on the ranger it was with a 98 4.6 from an f150....the wiring was pretty straightforward,just got a haynes manual for the schematics...if you have access to alldata it will fill in most of the gaps.many repair shops will print out diagrams for a small fee if you ask nicely.edit....after looking at this pic again,it does look a bit of a rat's nest there...dosn't it!

Last edited:

ranger joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 2000 ,
Make / Model
ford (2) , bu
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
here is my baby .
97 ranger 306 hypertenic pistons .030 over . motifed e6se heads ,ported .194 in .154 ex vavles , e 303 roller cam , comp cams roller tip rocker , holley 670 cfm truck avenger, proform 1 wire distributor, apx. hp 340-370 @flexplate.custom gauges.fox body oil pan and pick up tube . all build pics are in my profile .more on the custom gauges i will have more pics... i dont how to get pics off my puter to this page?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals