• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got this far - Questions

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My build thread is located at:

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151435&page=1

It is picture heavy.

I had a few questions about parts and whatnot. Starting from the back to the front. I rebuilt my C4 transmission and swapped in a C5 output shaft and tail housing.
---
1)Will I need a gasket to fit the tail housing to the transfer case?

2)Is there anything else I need to do between the tail house and t/c before I hook everything up?

3)Will I need a plate to fit between the motor and the bellhousing? If so, where do I get one of those?

4)I'm assuming I'm going to have to build a few shifter brackets to get the cabling to work with my stock floor shifter, input here is welcome as well.
---
I am currently building my motor. So far I have been able to find everything I need, with caveats.

1) I need stock HO roller cam pushrods. Anyone know where to find these in stock length for cheap?

2) When purchasing a computer, do I need to get one for a manual, since I have a C4?

3) I plan on using my v6 alternator and power steering pump, with A/C deleted. I am seeking to use a shorter water pump if possible and want my fan to be electrical, is this a Vbelt setup or a serpentine? It seems that there are limitless setups for the front end of the motor.

Any other input is welcome so far. I have been crunching at the reading for hours and so far I'm trying to get "The right facts" to do this thing right, the first time.

Thanks for the help!!!

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
The c-4 has the SBF bolt pattern so it should mate to the engine block without a adapter (I would do some measuring first just to be sure).
for the front of the engine i would do some measuring again and just make sure everything matches. It could become expensive if you have to keep changing parts to make it work.
Since your C-4 is non-computer controlled, yes, you would need a standard transmission computer. otherwise it would always be searching for input from the transmission, which could throw codes.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is there not a plate that goes between flywheel/flexplate and engine that is for placing the starter correctly?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes you will need the thin steel plate to match the C-4 starter location to engage the flywheel. JY is your best bet for that. If at all possible get yourself a complete Explorer FEAD--it will give you the space you need and save lots of headaches later when it comes time to replace stuff.

I don't think the auto ECU will care about the C-4 since none of the auto transmissions used with pre-AODE (i.e. C-4, C-5, C-6, AOD) were controlled by the ECU. They shifted independently of the ECU.

There is a paper gasket that goes between the trans and TC.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The c-4 has the SBF bolt pattern so it should mate to the engine block without a adapter (I would do some measuring first just to be sure).
for the front of the engine i would do some measuring again and just make sure everything matches. It could become expensive if you have to keep changing parts to make it work.
Since your C-4 is non-computer controlled, yes, you would need a standard transmission computer. otherwise it would always be searching for input from the transmission, which could throw codes.
So I will need a separator plate, I found one online. My bell housing otherwise fits the block fine.

So far I'm at the point where I'm looking at upgrading my rod bolts and nuts to ARP standard, so I do not have to worry about getting a rev limiter.

I will be going with manifolds since I can plumb around all the 4x4 hardware, it seems that manifolds will also prevent the ponies from chewing up my stock drive train as well.

Thanks for the input so far!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals