• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 v8 swapped into 03 ranger fx4

cbc24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys So far reading up on here there is select info provided for this kind of swap. So I have some questions. I have lined up a 1996 5.0 explorer, non pats, autotrajic and I have a 03 ranger fx4 4.0 manual 4x4... here is my questions:
1: will the M5OD-R1 transmission bellhousing, flywheel and clutch fit the 5.0?
2:Since in 2001+ the pats system is integrated in the pcm could I not just discard it entirely if the explorer pcm be used.
3:is it possible to setup the 5.0 auto pcm to be with the ranger manual transmission without being coded.

I know I have more but those are my main concerns as itll bolt in easily.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't think the Ranger trans/bell housing etc will bolt to the 5.0. Think you'll be needing bits from an F150.

PATS is a non-issue with the '96 PCM -- no need to discard anything. The PCM won't talk to the PATS transceiver at the ignition switch and the rest of the truck won't care either.

Only way to get the Explorer PCM to play nice with a manual gear box is with a custom tune to eliminate the transmission functions.

Electrically, I'm not sure where the '03 lands. On my '02, full dash function was as simple as moving 1 wire for the tachometer ground and using the '02 coolant temp sensor.

On an '04 I helped a guy out with, never did get the tach or temp to work correctly, and the much earlier 'Expo PCM did NOT like the 04 fuel tank vapor system, had to be "down dated" with some earlier bits.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I remember correctly you'll need the M5OD-R2 from a 4.2 v6 F-150 (never went that route but I believe this is right and I know the bellhousing is the same pattern)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals