• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My b2 has a lean to it.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My b2 has a lean to it. I have looked to see of its a bushing but they seem OK. Funny thing is the tire wear is not bad on the right side front but the left side getts cupped pretty quick. The springs are probably original. It's an 88 so it might just be worn springs.

My question is what is the possibility of it being my springs? Ether the leafs or the coils?

If I replace any of the spings I might as well do them all and all the bushings.

Sometime in the future I'm thinking of going low center of gravity thing and going with 31s and fender flairs. I'm trying to figure out if I can put some better springs and shocks and going with ballistic fab spring buckets and shock mount combo so I can adjust and maybe go longer springs but keep close to stock ride hight so I don't have to get drop brackets and my camber stays correct. I also thought of fabbibg up some inside frme mount radius arms out of the stock ones and lower profile trans x-member/ radius arm mount. Even though I'm not lifting it.

Idk what do you guys think?

Sorry if I laid out a lot my main question is the lean but I mentioned the others mods as a secondary question to see if doing those mods sounds like a dumb idea and if I should go with some other route along with correcting the problem.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nobody has any suggestions?

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
You haven't said which way she's leaning, but I'm guessing drivers side? Springs normally last a while unless you abuse them badly. Shocks always go first. Have you done the bounce test with them? Are they original? Do you already have a lift on it or still stock? 31's are a tight fit without a lift. I'd do one thing at a time and see what happens, start with a good pair of shocks if you can afford them, stock if not. Check shock mounts too. Check springs for cracks or bad seat, body bushings and washers too, mine were toast.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's stock hight. It leans on the passenger side. Have 235s and trying to convince myself those are fine so I can just stay stock just fix things. I'm pretty sure the shocks are the ones that were on it when it rolled off the assembly line. I need to do the Shocks and all the bushings and diff fluid repack the bearings anyhow because most likely haven't been done in a while. I guess once I do that I guess I can look at replacing springs. I don't beat it. I have only had it for like 8 months but who knows about before I had it.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the frame is also leaning before replacing springs. Maybe you have a rusted out body mount(s). 235 tires should already be rubbing the front stabilizer bar on a hard turn, so going with wider tires is a bad idea and wanting lower center of gravity makes a taller tire the wrong way to go. I like my LT235 75 15 tires but hate the side to side rocking I get offroad from stock shock absorbers. I need to find a shock absorber that can solve that problem. Otherwise the BII is a great vehicle.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh I'm quite sure frame and all are leaning. You can see it lean from the back and the front and its appears the the camber on the passenger side is off unless the alignment is so bad that it's pulling the whole thing to the side. The drivers side tire cupps pretty quick but that might be a tie rod or I just need the redo the bearings. All the other tire wear normal and I have been rotating sooner than normal until I can have time to do those before mentioned things. Besides a set as in (2) is only 66 bucks a whole lot cheaper than a cat whitch I already had to do. Yes the tires already hit the sway bar. So far the body mounts look good, the bushings for the body might need to be changed but all the things I have had to do shows that it wasn't maintained before I bought it so more then likely its something because it hasn't been maintained or replaced when it should have been.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was surfing through the internet and I found out about caster bearings and it seems that could be the problem. I didn't realize it could affect the whole thing that much. I guess they have 2 inch lift coils that come with caster bearings. Also another reason I know its leaning is l, on level ground, I can fit my head on the driver's side wheel well but the passenger side I can't. I'll have to to take the wheels off the look and see.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: I changed the shocks out for some rancho rs5000s and I sits much better now but still a little. I think I might need an alignment.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I find that the right side springs get worn quicker due to being on the shit side of the road .
My 87 with almost 200,000 has a slight lean on the passenger side.
I would suggest taking some measurements , axle to frame , height of coils.

Last edited:

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Speaking of lean is there suppose to be a bushing or something that the coil sits on? There seems like a lot of room where the coils sits on the axle.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bottom of my springs fit just into metal cups.

AS for your other questions I didn't want to be to high but as much travel as I could get.I had the washer lift with a 2" body lift.So instead of getting a lift kit I bought 4" lift springs and shocks.Then raising the spring buckets about an inch and a half it was within reach of correcting with my camber adjusters.New coils settle quite a bit the first few weeks.Made some longer radius arms and it rode nice on the back roads.

Nerdrage88

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's exactly what I was am for.

Do you have a build tread?

Again I'm looking for some decent flex maybe a bit of gofast but still maintain decent road manners, a middle of the road build. Swiss Amy knife logic I guess.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No build thread I was one of those guys who did a little at a time.Which is the long hard expensive way to do it.The front won't perform with a nice front like 4x4 junkie has but works way better than stock.I'm the same as you if I'm on a little slant don't want my butt puckering.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals