• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project 3G

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
last question for now... do I have to change the steering column also?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
last question for now... do I have to change the steering column also?
Not if the doner is a pre PATS Explorer ('96 or '97).

Even on a 98 or newer, you could always just pull the PATS system out of the Explorer and bury an original Explorer PATS key with the receiver and keep your original column unmolested.

stateranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can tell you're not speaking from experience on this. With this setup i can have this engine running in a riding lawnmower with only 5 wires from one plug hooked up the mustang has muliple plugs, a wider and longer FEAD, and half the amperage output of the alternator (65A vs 130A)...

SVT
I didn't rethink my post last night. Obd2 is a much better system to work with. Obd 2 also has less emissions equipment. You have to meet the inspection and emissions requirements for the 96+ 5.0 explorer to get your swap approved. This may be the biggest obstacle the O. P. faces.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
We all make mistakes. You said "to switch to OBD2 it would require a complete rewire". With this setup (96-97 explorer 5.0) the engine and trans harness is designed as a standalone unit. It will run and drive on only 8 wires from the 42 pin plug, 3 are grounds, two are ignition power, one constant power, one fuel pump relay and one fuel pump on signal, thats it. Thats only 5 connections for this engine and trans to be running in anything. I've done this rangers, bronco2's, sport tracs, even jeeps. I was going to put this in a lawnmower just to show how easy it could be done.
Now for the OP's case, it doesn't matter what setup is used, OBD1 or OBD2, a rewire will be needed as there are emissions devices that need to be in place for his application. The explorer setup, while complex, is also the most advanced, and smallest most compact FEAD available. Space is at a minimum in the 1st gen trucks. Aftermarket headers are recommended, a body lift is recommeded. Can it be done without one? Yes, it can, and I've done it. But its a challenge. My choice would still be the explorer, for the superior ignition and OBD2.....
SVT

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank each and everyone of you guys for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with me.... I showed my son your guys responses and he was touched that complete strangers would even bother to help (his alergies kicked in, too much dust in the air he said...lol ) My next step is to hunt for a 96-97 Explorer.. will look into the ones I posted.... I'll keep you guys posted when I find one..... thanks again for your in put..... btw My brother in law thinks I'm crazy.....

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I'm called crazy by everyone for the things i do. Check out craigslist, you can usually find deals there...

SVT

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
where can I find the 88 build you.refered to?

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks..... New question....? Is it worth sandblasting and reprinting the frame.?

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
can i use a 96 explorer 4x4 for my swap?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, and yes...

SVT

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok ...SCORED!!!! 97 EXP running 302 w/3.73 body shot to hell.. $300.... where do i start... tearing apart the donor veh first or the 86?

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok ...SCORED!!!! 97 EXP running 302 w/3.73 body shot to hell.. $300.... where do i start... tearing apart the donor veh first or the 86?
Way to go! Start by documenting the build with a ton of pics, lol. I'd start by making sure you have everything you need. Then tear down the explorer. Seriously though, pics, part numbers, everything. You never know how much these type of threads help people out.:popcorn:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Perfect doner and a great price too!

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here we go : )

Alright .... here we go ........ After reading your suggestions I thought it would be cool to document everything and put a video together entitled "2.3 to 5.0 swap for dummies" mainly cause I'm a big dummy... any case my son and I finished stripping down the 97 to part it out... with the thought of making my money back (like suggested by someone here) .... which is now officially $272.19 due to the fact that dummy left a ten dollar bill under the seat and almost 18 bucks in change scattered all over the place!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals