• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hmm...455 Olds Rocket?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What a find....

Me and my buddy was pushing snow eariler today and the battery died (due to unknown alt failure) in the plow truck. We asked the guy we were pushing for if he had a a few wrenchs we could use to pull the alt out. He said sure and pointed us towards his barn.....

In his barn.....there was some kind of big oldsmobile.....im not sure what it was, it was stripped of all emblems and im not familer with big old's. Curosity got the best of me and i asked if i could look it over.....he said sure.....first thing i did was open that big ol heavy hood....

there it was in all its glory a 455 rocket V8.

Of course the next question out of my mouth was "Does it run" and the next one was "would you sell it?"......It does run....somewhat, and hes unsure if he'll sell it or not.

My question to you is.....

Ive heard great things about the amount of power these olds Rocket engines had, are they really what people say they are?

Are parts hard to come by?

Are they worth anything?

I know next to nothing.....just what ive heard. Not that i need another project as my 69 Charger is sitting in the barn with a cooked 440....but if its worth something and i can get it at a decent price.....would it be worth picking up? Even if it is just for the engine?

later,
Dustin

tpking

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i never heard much of the 455 rockets but i have heard good things about the 350 rockets

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
If you had a Cutlass needing a motor I'd say jump on it. Otherwise, 455 Olds motors aren't really rare. Their are some desirable 455 Olds motors, but chances are the one you're looking at isn't one of them. Check the lower right corner of the heads for a letter about 3/4" tall. Then go to http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofhed.htm#Heads , scrole down just a little and you'll find a listing of all the big block Olds heads. It'll give you an idea if the engine is worth buying or not.

Young_unn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
5.0, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
i have a 76 trand am with a olds 455 (1969)its pushing 500+ ponys with alumnium heads and bored .40 over, its nice but parts arent the easiest to find.

my buddy has a 69 delta 88 with one, and its nice and power, nice cruiser

Punisher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Bronco II,
Transmission
Automatic
I have a buddy that runs a 455 rocket in his EB crawler, he loves it :headbang:

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
Olds Rockets are big ol torque monsters, the pre- 1973 units would make up to 500 ft/lbs in stock (hi/po ) trim. Go here http://www.442.com/ and learn a little more grasshopper. If any where on the car you see 442 ,Cutlass SX ,W30 , Tornado do more research to see if you have something special, I am guessing it is not a 4dr? Olds big blocks are about the same price to build as Pontiac's ,ie more expensive then a Chev or Dodge but not too much more. There are lots of good performance parts out there for them http://www.mondellotwister.com/ and in stock performance trim they were pretty fast eat most ford performance offerings from the 60's early 70's !

Picture would be good.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Don't get me wrong, the 455 Olds is great engine, but it's not like finding an old Dodge in a barn with a hemi in it. The 455 had factory ratings of up to 400 hp and 500 torque. I used to be an Oldsmobile guy and still have a soft spot for them.

I used to own a '73 Delta 88 convert with the 455 smog motor in it. I added headers and a Mallory ignition system. At the drag strip it would run 15.50 @ 87mph with the stock 2.73 gears. Not bad for something that resembled an aircraft carrier. Also had a '66 Cutlass, '67 Cutlass, '69 Cutlass convert, '73 Delta 4dr, '74 Delta 2dr, '74 Omaga, '77 Cutlass, and a '78 Cutlass. I built a 455 with big valve heads, 10.5:1 pistons, W-33 cam, Offy intake with two 600 Edelbrocks, and Hooker headers, mated it to a built TH-350, and dropped it in a beige '64 Malibu stationwagon. Looked like grandma's car, but was a terror on the streets.

kerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic

Olds 455 motors are known for high torque at low rpm. This is a good characteristic for quick acceleration. For all you ever wanted to know about 455's go here!
http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
Good solid engines. They were used in ski boats pretty often because of the torque and the bottom end was pretty beefy.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is the car by any chance a delta 88, or delmont? some had a 425ci some had 455, the 455 stock is okay but no barnstormer stock. the 425 on the other hand had like 200hp, a real dog. my uncle has a delmont 2dr with a 455. il try to post a pic so you can see if this is it. the car is still pretty slow even with the 455, its a real boat, they arent worth a whole lot. but it will smoke the tires real good!!!

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

the green one maybe?

merc2dogs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't know about that 425 comment, I've seen a couple of them that would eat camaros for breakfast and still be hungry.
One in a delmont 88 would give my mustang a real run for the money, and my mustang was no slouch at all.

The 455 was a real torque monster but didn't have a whole lot of top end, but if set up right could easily whip a lot of the small blocks on the street simply because they had torque from the basement up.

I've always been a Ford man, but I like the small Buick V8s, and all the Oldsmobile V8s except the blue/grey motors.

Ken.

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad used to own my dreamcar when he was my age. Olds 442 W-30, had the 455. He used to tow a 29 foot boat with it. Now thats a car, he said the only time he had trouble towing that boat was at the launch ramp. Was real tricky with that motor, a stick, a boat that size, plus a wet ramp. Took a lot of clutch slip to keep from roasting the tires.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't know about that 425 comment, I've seen a couple of them that would eat camaros for breakfast and still be hungry.
One in a delmont 88 would give my mustang a real run for the money, and my mustang was no slouch at all.

The 455 was a real torque monster but didn't have a whole lot of top end, but if set up right could easily whip a lot of the small blocks on the street simply because they had torque from the basement up.

I've always been a Ford man, but I like the small Buick V8s, and all the Oldsmobile V8s except the blue/grey motors.

Ken.
the 425 was a big block two barrel carb that came in the majority of delmont 88's, that v6 mustang in the picture mopped the floor with that delmont 88 w/ a 455 in it... i should know the delmont is my uncles(which i lived with) and the v6 mustang is my wifes, she raced him twice, his car is too heavy... beat her off the line though. and there are different outputs for 455's... his seems pretty mild. but still a ton of torque

Last edited:

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to get my hands on a '69 Olds 88 Highway patrol special. Luxury with a factory built monster under the hood.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals