• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

more umph

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im new here been searching for more power for my ranger. What do you recommend getting started with? without going crazy eg. turbo.

intake, exhaust, headers? keep in mind this is a 03 3.0 Automatic.

thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
tuner, underdrive pullies, regear the differentials. swap in a 5 speed if your up to the task.

thats about all you can do without making drastic changes.

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Jet Modual, or Superchips, K&N air intake, exhaust, and regearing.

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't mess around and find a turbo 2.3 parts vehicle.. or just throw in a v8.. then turbo it. With the time and money you spent with the minor upgrades you could easily have just put a turbo motor in the first place and have twice the power and mpg....

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
tuner, underdrive pullies, regear the differentials. swap in a 5 speed if your up to the task.

thats about all you can do without making drastic changes.

what do you mean by tuner? thanks for the response. i was actually waiting for one from you. you seem to be the go to guy for 3.0 questions.

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what do you mean by tuner? thanks for the response. i was actually waiting for one from you. you seem to be the go to guy for 3.0 questions.
i think he means a performance chip.

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wicked_Sludge,

ive been browsing the Jet performance site for Chips. I enter my year, make and model in their product locator and all it gives me is a "Jet module". is this the same as their performance chips? they dont give an option to select the stage 1 for non modified or stage 2 lightly modified vehicles.

if i were to go with a chip/tuner would this be plug and play? or would it involve hooking up my Ranger to a dyno?

I also researched the underdrive pulleys you mentioned, they seem like a great idea. what brand and where do you recommend getting them?

thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the jet modul/chips are basically the same thing. they contain a pre-programmed tune for your PCM and arent adjustable.

i would rather have an actual OBDII flash programmer, as they usually come with several tunes. one for power, one for economy, one for towing, etc. its more bang for your buck and more versitility. most will also serve to pull and clear OBDII codes, and can reprogram your speedometer if you decide to change your tire size. there are hundreds of different options for tuners, just goodle it and youll get lots of hits.

the only name that comes to mind for underdrive pulleys is underdog. im sure you could find other options for those as well with google.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
ive dealt with jet products along tiem ago and my 02 is stay away from jet crap. or g owith the jet parts if you like throwing away money. Or if you liek throwing away money just give it to me Ill find you a jet sticker to put on your truck and you woulnt know the difference

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals