• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger occasionally won’t start

neil94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
I've owned a 1994 Ford 4 cylinder Ranger for a couple of months. Lat night on my way home from work, I stopped twice for 5 minutes (bank and gas station) and when it was time to leave the truck would not start. It turned over strong, but would not start.
The previous owner had warned me that it might happen, saying that if you wait 15 minutes, it usually starts right up.

That was the case. Both times I waited 15 minutes and the truck started right up. It happened at night in 60 degree weather. The temperature gauge read less than half.

Has anyone experienced this? Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance, Neil

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

You will have to help us to help you.

Determine whether you are losing spark or fuel pressure when it won't start.

For fuel pressure, you can turn the key to Run (not crank) and listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 sec. Turn the key back to Off, then Run again, repeat and then try cranking the starter over.

You can also depress the fuel rail schraeder valve (like a steel tire stem) and see how strongly the fuel sprays out (use a rag and watch your eyes!).

For spark, carry a spare spark plug.
Connect it to any spark plug wire on the right side, ground the spark plug threads/nut to metal and crank over the starter, watching for spark. It should be bright blue and make a snap sound.

Report back your result!

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cant talk for sure on the 4 cyl, but the others have had issues with the fuel pump relay. I keep and extra in the truck for such events. They run about $5 or you can next time it happens pull the one from the AC and plug it in. I spoke with another guy who had the same issue and he said he had to pull the fuse panel and clean all the contacts and redo a couple of wires on his. Mine has not had this issue for several years now so I just leave the extra relay in a open slot and if/when it happens just slipe the new one in and go. Cant say for 100% this is the issue but it sure does sound like it. Its easy enough to check as I said.

neil94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
Has not happened again, but I will let you know

Thank you for the ideas. I really appreciate them.
I drove it over the weekend, but it did not happen again.
I will get a fuel pump relay, but won't install it, unless the problem occurs again. I plan on getting an extra spark plug too.
I will let you know what happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals